Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue

Old 03-22-2020, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This worries me as I’m looking for some right now.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed the metalcloak overland fenders and quite pleased with the fit. I had some gaps installing but everything closed up fine. The pic looks like there already is a flare on the skin...is this something on the newer models?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the psc aluminum flares, and they fit perfectly. I have removed them and reinstalled them, and they still fit well. As far as nutserts, you have to make sure they are tight in the hole. I put them in, released the pressure and screw tightened them again to make sure they were not loose. I did use a proper nutsert tool, not the jut and bolt supplied in the kit. And the aluminum flares can take a hit, and survive really well.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad your PSC flares fit properly. My hunch, coming from a manufacturing background, PSC might have gotten a bad batch and decided they could sell them with a straight face and left the BS peddling to their customer service people. There’s no excuse for this at their premium pricing.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

well, it's 2022 and digging this thread back up. Got a set of these as I finally decided to add fenders back after being fenderless for years. I got hella deal through some connections and figured this was a now or never. Went with PSC just cuz everything else I have is PSC, and the deal I got. But, y, the rear fitment is the same 3 years later. This certainly isn't just a "bad batch". Bit frustrated but think I'm willing to hope the gap closes as others have suggested. It's a pretty big gap though

I'll report back if this gap closed or if I said nope and reverted back to my deletes. I am certainly going to do a rough install before wasting time painting these things so I can move on past them if I don't like the results.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Just caulk it lol.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Well, the rears are on. That gap closes up a good bit. I wouldn't say it's 100%, but I would say most people wouldn't notice it unless they were specifically inspecting for it. I figured it was worth trying and if it absolutely wasn't going to work my fender delete would cover all that up again if I reverted back. The deletes didn't use those three holes right there that the PSC fenders do. I'm going to have to pull these back off to pain em and on final install I'm going to get them as tight right there as I can before feeling like I'll jack up a nutsert. If someone was using the manual "tool", if you can call it that, supplied with these then I'd never suggest that, but if using an actual nutsert tool you can get those things in there pretty solid. The fitment on the fronts seems to be a lot better from what I can tell so far.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

For reference, here are my Crawler Conceptz fenders. These fit really good, and the interesting thing is they are basically a carbon copy of the Poison Spyder, as they were designed by the same person. Seems like a QC issue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_172402.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	677912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_172542.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	677913  
Old 08-16-2022, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWjeep

Leave it to a newbie to resurrect an old thread, but it seems appropriate to post here rather than start new. I am currently having the same issue, I bolted everything up including the supplied brackets, and I have the same gap in the same location. I was told by Poison Spyder earlier today that "This is normal we have to have tolerances for it to adapt to every Jeep that’s out there. This is not a manufacturing issue this is exactly the way it was designed." Considering that against the advertisement on their website (and others that sell these flares) that states: "Poison Spyder's Aluminum Rear Crusher Flares™ for JK are precision-fabricated replacements..."

I'm rethinking my PSC purchase, so I wanted to share if anyone else is on the fence...
Took a pic of mine, aluminum narrows. Honestly does look like its more of your fender cut alignment than the fender flare itself. Maybe my eyes are wonky.

Mine are pre-China, I think. Been a few years.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

wish there was more than just that one picture from that member cuz it seems like an odd situation going on there. 1 post only from that member.

My expectations of PSC these days post the '15 TA acquisition are what they are. Still though, I find it odd the illusion of quality control is there (all my hardware inventory was hand-checked off a list that was included in the bag) but is still lacking (half the u-clip hardware sent with my fronts was 1/4-20....which obviously doesn't work well with the 5/16-18 bolts!!). In the end I think I'll be happy with my flares, but I don't expect perfection like lot of folks might.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-16-2022 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Flare Fit Issue