Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poison Spyder Fail

Old 01-30-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was sad when Clifton Slay sold Poison Spyder. I used to love his builds. But Larry McCrae seems to have done a great job keeping things going. I hope nothing changes but you're right, capitalism will prevail.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
dosent sound too sure the way they worded it / besides if they were doing so well why would they sell the business hope they make good on their words but time tells all love my psc bumper thanks to them
That's exactly why you sell, because the business is doing so well. Buy low and sell high. They have something that is continually growing and has a real high value right now. If the offer is good, it would be wise to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-31-2015, 03:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't see that coming. Hopefully the quality will stay high. Wouldn't surprise me if they start building some of these parts in a high capacity factory though.

Good for Larry though, it takes the pressure off of him at a time when he really needed it to be.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

THis is the EXACT opposite of Poison Spyder Fail....this is Poison Spyder Success. 80% of the time start-up companies are looking to be acquired at some point. This is the world I live and work in. I don't think Larry was scratching his head wondering what forum members were going to think when a larger company came in to pay him (most likely a lot) for his company. Second, a lot of times this a good thing for the consumer - the acquiring company has the resources and money to improve production, r and d, etc....
Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You have a comment in the title...
Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

I see this as unfortunate. I realize companies today need to align the,selves with others who have bigger pockets, but the idea of PSC selling to a company that has shot products, doesn't seem like this going to lead to anything good. I predict the product will eventually get cheapened out, mass produced and quality decline. As much as Larry says and wants to keep the company ideology intact, acquisitions often lead to an eventual departure of the minds. Larry most likely won't like the direction the product is going (in due time) and will walk, crashing another company where he again has more control. This happens in so ma y industries, the off road segment also I at immune. I've seen with in my own profession as well. Unless the buy out and contract specifically state Larry has majority share/control, there isn't much he can do except run the business, sit back and hope it continues on his hopes and wants. I'm betting, he took a nice up front payout, retains some influence and will eventually grow tired of the big company politics that ensue.

Best of luck to Larry & PSC, but with news like this, I'm glad I went with JCR. To think, I narrowed it down to JCR & PSC. I felt PSC was asking a bit much for their product, and now with the buy out, I'm convinced that is where the business priority lies. Many will say that's the nature land reason for business. Fair enough, and, I humbly believe, that is the inherent problem. We don't put our passion into the process, we are only concerned with the bottom line.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I see this as unfortunate. I realize companies today need to align the,selves with others who have bigger pockets, but the idea of PSC selling to a company that has shot products, doesn't seem like this going to lead to anything good. I predict the product will eventually get cheapened out, mass produced and quality decline. As much as Larry says and wants to keep the company ideology intact, acquisitions often lead to an eventual departure of the minds. Larry most likely won't like the direction the product is going (in due time) and will walk, crashing another company where he again has more control. This happens in so ma y industries, the off road segment also I at immune. I've seen with in my own profession as well. Unless the buy out and contract specifically state Larry has majority share/control, there isn't much he can do except run the business, sit back and hope it continues on his hopes and wants. I'm betting, he took a nice up front payout, retains some influence and will eventually grow tired of the big company politics that ensue.

Best of luck to Larry & PSC, but with news like this, I'm glad I went with JCR. To think, I narrowed it down to JCR & PSC. I felt PSC was asking a bit much for their product, and now with the buy out, I'm convinced that is where the business priority lies. Many will say that's the nature land reason for business. Fair enough, and, I humbly believe, that is the inherent problem. We don't put our passion into the process, we are only concerned with the bottom line.
Well said. I agree 100%. PSC to me was at a much higher level than 4WP. I feel it degrades the brand. However, I do not fault Larry for his decision. You have to walk a mile in a man's shoes before you can judge. Larry has integrity and I'm sure his decision was the best decision for him. However, I can't help but feel this is an end of an era. Hoping the PSC brand doesn't become the next Smittybilt. It certainly opens doors for many companies that were competing with PSC. Only time will tell where PSC lands.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Quality will more than likely take a hit, but I really don't see it impacting business. Think about how many people run smittybilt, rubicon express, and procomp garbage. Time will tell.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

First thought is disappointment considering the reputation of 4wp. I'm surprised that they're still in business with the reputation that they have.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by etl330
First thought is disappointment considering the reputation of 4wp. I'm surprised that they're still in business with the reputation that they have.
if you read many posts on here that favor 4WP, add that to the number of guys that would rather save a dollar vs. buy quality, couple that with the general American mindset of buying disposable goods, and you have a recipe for success with companies like 4WP.

Quick Reply: Poison Spyder Fail