Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

poison spider hood louver...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poison spider hood louver...

Do you all that have these notice a significant amount of water in the engine compartment? Does it leak or is it designed somehow to keep the water from simply dripping onto the motor?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hotspur
Do you all that have these notice a significant amount of water in the engine compartment? Does it leak or is it designed somehow to keep the water from simply dripping onto the motor?
You are cutting large holes in your hood. Yes. Your engine will get wet in the rain or when you wash it. Lots of folks have them .. including me .. and I have never read of a reported issue due to water.

Your engine gets wet offroading anyway. I was going through a stream last weekend and I hit it a little hard because I wanted to knock off the mud on my rig ... Surprisingly water came shooting UP through the louvers.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine compartment is not sealed to begin with, so water gets in already. Will cutting holes in the hood let more water in? Yes but I haven't noticed any issues since installing the louvers and I've been through many heavy downpours.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...4/#post3046506

Originally Posted by DTS
No worries on the questions. Yeah sometimes I feel like a broken record answering the same ones over and over, but that's cool, it bumps my thread back to the top, so

On the water and shorting anything out question, I'll paste in our answer to that very question from the FAQ section on our website:
Q: Does the Hood Louver allow water to get into my engine compartment?

A: This is a very common question that we get asked all the time. The simple answer is yes, some water can trickle down through the louvers during wet weather, but this hasn't caused any significant problems for the hundreds of people who have installed our Hood Louvers. It is important to remember that the engine bay is not a sealed compartment—it is common and expected that water can splash up into there even with a stock, uncut hood. That's why all of the engine components and electrical connections under the hood are weatherproofed from the factory. Many Jeep owners routinely pop the hood and hose down the engine compartment anyhow, to clean off dust and mud after wheeling trips, with no ill effects. Even if you live in an area with wet weather, you can install the Poison Spyder Hood Louver with confidence.
Hope that answers your concerns.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...1/#post3117291

Originally Posted by DTS
We do not make anything like that. You can get some screen material from your local metal supply and DIY something, if its important to you. If it were me, I would just not worry about it. With all these questions about water getting on the engine, and now pecans getting in there, you'd think the engine is made out of pixie dust just waiting to go *poof* and disappear if anything touches it. I assure you, that's not the case. The engine can handle a little water getting on it, and I'm sure a few pecans would just roll off as well, if they could even fit through the louver slots
Hope this answers your question
Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies! Guess I know what I'm doing next!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you really live in a town called Ballsack?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
do you really live in a town called Ballsack?

Lol
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure do, its right next to Taint, VA.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I Just Laughed so hard... Haha
Old 09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hotspur
Sure do, its right next to Taint, VA.
Touché hahahahahaha

Quick Reply: poison spider hood louver...