Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poison Spider Body Armor Install Question?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison Spider Body Armor Install Question?

Monday I am going to order a bunch of Posion Spider stuff. Brawler Lite Bumper, Crusher Fenders, Rocker Knockers, and the Body Armor.

The body armor has an optional rubber body armor liner. Is anyone using this or just mounting them directly against the skin? Is the nut-sert installation tool provide easy enough to use or are there any tricks or tips? I install riv-nuts at work often but we use an air tool. These look to be the same thing but the thickness of the metal is the difference.

I searched the threads and only found four talking about installation. Not to much mention of the nut-serts. Must not be to much of an issue.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

The shop that did my install didn't use the underliner but I think it would have been a good idea. I did notice that there is rust at all of the holes even though it was just put on in September. I talked with Rick @ PSC and he suggested I talk to install shop. Seeing the guy on Tues and will send you msg about it.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

The rubber liner is a good idea to protect the body. The prep work on installation is key, powder coating and painting the drill holes to prevent rust. The nutserts are a flaming pain in the ass without a real tool to do it. A real tool is $200+ and it comes with long handles. Any of the inexpensive ones are small in size and require a lot of elbow.
The psc quality is top notch, which offsets the pita factor. Good luck and have fun
Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navyvetnorwich91
The shop that did my install didn't use the underliner but I think it would have been a good idea. I did notice that there is rust at all of the holes even though it was just put on in September. I talked with Rick @ PSC and he suggested I talk to install shop. Seeing the guy on Tues and will send you msg about it.
I believe that you're supposed to use touch-up on the holes before installing the nutserts. Sounds like your shop didn't do it. I'm picking a set of these up in a week or so, and I think I might even go the length of putting a dab of silicone on the nutserts before putting them in.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

I appreciate the replies. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dcharge74

I believe that you're supposed to use touch-up on the holes before installing the nutserts. Sounds like your shop didn't do it. I'm picking a set of these up in a week or so, and I think I might even go the length of putting a dab of silicone on the nutserts before putting them in.
Thanks for the info. I will tell that to the installer when i have him rectify this.

Quick Reply: Poison Spider Body Armor Install Question?