Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

plz help..

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plz help..

I took my car today from the shop.. I placed an OME suspension ARb lsd front and back, 4.88 gears. my car is 3.8 automatic 2door.
The problem is that when I go to the highway and I reach 55-60mph the whole cars starts to vibrate so much that I cant drive… (I have to slow down and then it stops..) it moves right and left all the time like my suspension goes right and left really fast. also the sterring whell goes right and left very very fast… if you see the car outside I think it is all shaking… At first I thought it was something wrong with my wheels.. and from that time, any time I reach 55-60mph it does it again.. every single time… I am sure it is going to break..
I cant even go straight... !!! lool it is funny
I have the stock 32tires. without spacers.. yet
Do you have anything in mind??

I will try to drive it again slowly and take it back to the shop i installed all the things.. The problem is that i dont know if it is from the gears from the arb diffs or from the suspension...

any ideas ?

Thank you for your help,
Nick
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the problem. Take it back to the shop that did the work.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pansil
I took my car today from the shop.. I placed an OME suspension ARb lsd front and back, 4.88 gears. my car is 3.8 automatic 2door.
The problem is that when I go to the highway and I reach 55-60mph the whole cars starts to vibrate so much that I cant drive… (I have to slow down and then it stops..) it moves right and left all the time like my suspension goes right and left really fast. also the sterring whell goes right and left very very fast… if you see the car outside I think it is all shaking… At first I thought it was something wrong with my wheels.. and from that time, any time I reach 55-60mph it does it again.. every single time… I am sure it is going to break..
I cant even go straight... !!! lool it is funny
I have the stock 32tires. without spacers.. yet
Do you have anything in mind??

I will try to drive it again slowly and take it back to the shop i installed all the things.. The problem is that i dont know if it is from the gears from the arb diffs or from the suspension...

any ideas ?

Thank you for your help,
Nick
Way to go 4 dead kittens.

It's not your gear or diffs. The first thing I thought was the tires need balanced, but if this just started happening after the lift was installed, it's probably not the tires...

How much lift is the kit? Did you install it yourself? Did you replace your trackbar with an aftermarket one or relocate it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dead-kitty.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	32656  

Last edited by stlfan06; 11-10-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

speed related shimmy is typically a wheel balancing problem. however, if it's more of a violent shaking and to the point where you really cannot drive until you come to a stop, your shop probably didn't install your track bar correctly and/or tighten the bolts to the appropriate torque setting.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

tank you for the quick reply.. the car has the Medium Ome front and hard back (I still havent placed a rear bumper) and it is too tall back... I took the packege from Northbridge and I installed brakelines and sway bar links front and back....

Last edited by pansil; 11-10-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

tank you for the quick reply.. the car has the Medium Ome front and hard back (I still havent placed a rear bumper) and it is too tall back... I also have installed brakelines and sway bar links front and back....
That's one more kitten you sick b*stard!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

they also told me that for some reason they didnt manage to place the sway bar links in front because they didnt fit?! and they placed only back sway bars and in front they left the stock.. ...
So the good think is that you all believe it is a suspension problem and not from the 4.88 or the lsds...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

they also told me that for some reason they didnt manage to place the sway bar links in front because they didnt fit?! and they placed only back sway bars and in front they left the stock.. ...
So the good think is that you all believe it is a suspension problem and not from the 4.88 or the lsds...
I would tell them to check the torque on all of the bolts. Also, you never answered, did the lift come with an aftermarket trackbar or a trackbar bracket? If it did, they may have installed them incorrectly.

Did you just add the LSD to the front? The rear should come with it from the factory...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

The links from the back are supposed to be moved to the front and new links installed in the rear. If the stock links are left in the front the sway bar could (and probably will) over-extend and flip the wrong direction making for all kinds of damage.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The 'new' links go in the rear, and the 'stock' rears get moved up front. But this deals with flex, not handling.

As the others have said, it is likely a trackbar issue. Have them tighten up the bolts on the front trackbar to 125 ft/lbs, with the JK on the ground. (If the bolts were tightened while on a lift with the suspension drooping, have them loosen the bolts and re-torque while on the ground)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-10-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: plz help..