Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pls help! have I bent my housing?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pls help! have I bent my housing?

Right now I'm sitting at wheel works getting my allighnment done. Thye tell me that my camber on both wheels Is - .9, does this mean its bent further they tell me that my caster should not be the same on each side. Currently it sits at 3.9 on the left and 4.4 on the right. Is this a good level for a 2.5 coil lift with adj front lower controle arms and 37s. Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It isn't uncommon to set the right a bit longer than the left to counteract the road crown. But if they will feel better about it, go to the same on both sides.

The camber could be bent C's. It could be bent tubes. And it could have come straight from the factory like that. I'll dig for a post that shows the factory tolerance.

CAMBER -0.25° ± 0.37° (-0.62° to +0.12°)

Looks like you are .28 over on both sides? Time to decide what you want to do about it:
Leave it alone and watch for tire wear?
Offset bj's + gussets?
Replace the housing?
Move up to a pr44 or a 60?

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your camber is -.9 you are right at -1.0 degree which means in order to fix your problem you need 1 degree offset ball joints to fix your camber issue. Either that or a new axle housing. Your c's are most likely bent , but your housing could be aswell.

I should add that if you don't fix your camber, your gonna chew up and shorten the life of your tires. I would address your camber issue BEFORE your castor. You may find that after your camber is fixed with adj ball joints, your castor issue may be resolved abit since with adj ball joints they can adjust abit for castor correction aswell.

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the info. are ball joints difficult to install? aslo wheel works got my caster to 4.9 on the right and a bit less on the left. they said that anymore caster than this would be too much, is this true? i though wayoflife said between 6-8 is find.

also after putting on the 37s toyos my jeep pulls slightly to the right, am i correct in assuming this is radial pull. this did not happen with my 35 km2. at low speeds my steering wheel gently sways slightly from right to left. WW said it is just the tie rod flexing and is normal on a lifted vehicle with large tires. this true?

Last edited by jtjk; 09-28-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

anybody??????????????????????????????????
Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

got my caster to 4.9 on the right and a bit less on the left. they said that anymore caster than this would be too much, is this true? i though wayoflife said between 6-8 is find.
There isn't a one-size-fits-all caster number that will work for everyone. Drive it, and if the handling feels good and you don't have any vibes, leave it alone.
- also, the numbers in the diy alignment write-up are from using an angle finder. Angle finders measure straight lines, alignment racks measure some type of an arc. An angle finder will get you in the ballpark, but there isn't a direct correlation between the two. (6deg on an angle finder may be 4-5deg on a rack, or whatever).
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

that makes sensen. anybody have any idea abut the steering wheel?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
thanks for the info. are ball joints difficult to install? aslo wheel works got my caster to 4.9 on the right and a bit less on the left. they said that anymore caster than this would be too much, is this true? i though wayoflife said between 6-8 is find.

also after putting on the 37s toyos my jeep pulls slightly to the right, am i correct in assuming this is radial pull. this did not happen with my 35 km2. at low speeds my steering wheel gently sways slightly from right to left. WW said it is just the tie rod flexing and is normal on a lifted vehicle with large tires. this true?

Not to difficult, just time consuming on the bj's. What nuthinuf said as far as castor. As far as the sway is concerned, make sure your RK trackbar bolts are torqued to 125 ftlbs. Did they give you a readout of your toe-in? Post it up if you can. Toyo's seem to be abit notorious for radial pulling. I never had a pull to the right with mine until I changed to Toyo 37's. I got a bilstein stabilizer which is nitrogen charged and the pull is gone now.

Quick Reply: pls help! have I bent my housing?