Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please tell me about your Teraflex 2.5 BB install

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me about your Teraflex 2.5 BB install

Hey guys,

I was looking to do a Teraflex 2.5 BB install and I had a few questions. First off, there are two kits I was looking at. Can anyone provide me feedback on the kit with shock adapters and the kit with shocks? I haven't heard reviews about either and I'm a little torn between the two. My situation is as such: I have a 2012 JKU, I am looking to save a little money here and there, and I am leaning toward the kit with the shock adapters. Please advise? Pics of the install and/or before and after pics would be awesome as well.

Thanks!!!

-Rich
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to jk-forum!

regarding your question, you'll be fine with the shock adapter kit. you won't get as much stuff with them but, it sounds like you're not looking to do much wheeling. and, even if you did some light to moderate trails, you'd be just fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks WOL. Well, something in me says that I should just go ahead and save for the Full Traction 3" lift. I do plan on hitting some trails and doing some wheeling out here on the East Coast, but most everything we have in the Southeast has to deal with mud holes and light trails. I don't do a lot of my own work and I certainly haven't done any suspension work other than leaf springs on my YJ, so I am a bit hesitant to tackle a lift kit such as the Full Traction 3". I'm wondering if I should just save the extra funds for the 3". I think that in the long run, it will pay off, but I have no idea what the labor costs may be to get it installed. Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aekdbrich
Hey guys,

I was looking to do a Teraflex 2.5 BB install and I had a few questions. First off, there are two kits I was looking at. Can anyone provide me feedback on the kit with shock adapters and the kit with shocks? I haven't heard reviews about either and I'm a little torn between the two. My situation is as such: I have a 2012 JKU, I am looking to save a little money here and there, and I am leaning toward the kit with the shock adapters. Please advise? Pics of the install and/or before and after pics would be awesome as well.

Thanks!!!

-Rich
I got the kit without shock adapters or shocks, and bought new Skyjackers, pretty cheap priced and I have no complaints so far! It's a super easy install (though I don't have any pictures). I know a few guys that bought the kit with shock adapters and they haven't had any issues whatsoever, I say go for it! It's a great lift!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks WOL. Well, something in me says that I should just go ahead and save for the Full Traction 3" lift. I do plan on hitting some trails and doing some wheeling out here on the East Coast, but most everything we have in the Southeast has to deal with mud holes and light trails. I don't do a lot of my own work and I certainly haven't done any suspension work other than leaf springs on my YJ, so I am a bit hesitant to tackle a lift kit such as the Full Traction 3". I'm wondering if I should just save the extra funds for the 3". I think that in the long run, it will pay off, but I have no idea what the labor costs may be to get it installed. Any ideas?
If you're looking at the premium plus or even better, their ultimate kit, it's worth the extra money. however, being that you have a 2012, you need to make sure you address your front drive shaft and exhaust cross over as with the extra articulation you'll get out of a 3" FT kit will cause your front drive shaft to tear its slip shaft boot and, fail prematurely at the cv joint.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirForceMike
I got the kit without shock adapters or shocks, and bought new Skyjackers, pretty cheap priced and I have no complaints so far! It's a super easy install (though I don't have any pictures). I know a few guys that bought the kit with shock adapters and they haven't had any issues whatsoever, I say go for it! It's a great lift!
Mike,

I haven't heard anything bad about the TF lift and that's definitely why it was my first choice. How long have you had the TF under your JK?

WOL,

You're definitely right. I wasn't looking to do any type of major driveline mods so the 3" FT may be out for now. What's the advantage of using the TF kit with the shocks included as opposed to just getting the shock adapters?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mike,

I haven't heard anything bad about the TF lift and that's definitely why it was my first choice. How long have you had the TF under your JK?

WOL,

You're definitely right. I wasn't looking to do any type of major driveline mods so the 3" FT may be out for now. What's the advantage of using the TF kit with the shocks included as opposed to just getting the shock adapters?
I've had mine on for about 5 months now, not a single issue to date. Be sure to check the torques on everything periodically and you're good to go!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

I've had the TF 2.5 coil lift on my '08 JKU since new. With only the 2.5 coils there is no drive shaft work needed. At least on an '08. I've heard the '12's are different.. But Tf should be able to steer you in the right direction. BTW the install was donee by me in an afternoon...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

WOL,

the shocks they include for a 2012 will allow for greater stuff when flexing. aside from that, they will still be short enough to prevent your axle from drooping to the point of drive shaft failure. at least, that's what they advertise.

Originally Posted by randyd8511
I've had the TF 2.5 coil lift on my '08 JKU since new. With only the 2.5 coils there is no drive shaft work needed. At least on an '08. I've heard the '12's are different.. But Tf should be able to steer you in the right direction. BTW the install was donee by me in an afternoon...
2012's are setup quite differently from 07-11's
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Got it with shock around 600 bucks I believe and if you can install it yourself or have a buddy in the know who could use some beer money do it. That is where you'll want to save your money.. The shop here wanted 600 bucks to do it and I ask if that came with oral sex and they said no.

It actually comes with really good instructions but it's something you don't wanna try if your not confident in ur ability. ( your jk is on the line here )

I'd say wait for a 4 inch , I wanna go bigger now as do most 2.5 lift owners on here.

Quick Reply: Please tell me about your Teraflex 2.5 BB install