Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please Help Me With Crown SS Brake Lines

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please Help Me With Crown SS Brake Lines

So I recently put a 2.5" lift on my 2012 Rubicon. The kit did not come with extended brake lines... instead it came with fancy drop bracketry that I wasn't a fan of. So, no brainer, just decided to upgrade to some SS brake lines. Withouth realizing a difference, I ordered the ones from NR4x4. Having read some threads about model year changes and brake lines, I got to worrying that I had purchased the wrong thing.

I've called both Crown and NR4x4. Crown says no, the '07-'10 brake lines are not compatible with the 2012s due to different brackets and different line lenghts. NR4x4 says that they've run the older model brake lines on many 2012s with lifts and had no issue.

So what do I do? Can anyone speak directly to the compatibility?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well

I noticed the difference as well, but was careful to order the 2012 version.

I do not know the difference, other than the 2012s were a bit more $.

I am also not a fan of the 1/2 assed "drop brackets".
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd imagine the 2012's are longer then the 2010 and older. Starting at the 2011 MY, Jeep (Chrysler) started routing the front brake lines through the lower shock mount using some stupid bracket. The lines themselves are plenty long if you reroute them and cut off the bracket. They're actually longer than the Crown SS lines I replaced them with. Basically the only reason you'd replace them is for a more positive brake feel.

That being said, I am running a RK 2.5" lift and forget what length brake lines I could probably find out, but it'd take some doing as I ordered them almost 2 years ago.

Edit: after reading your post a little more thoroughly, yeah, the 2011+ models have a bracket that holds them in the lower shock mount. If you reroute the brakelines, there's no need for that bracket so you can just cut it off. And as I already said, the 2011+ lines are longer then the previous model years. The older Crown SS lines should work fine if you don't try to route them like the factory ones. I'm pretty certain that's what I'm using.

Last edited by Yellowfin; 06-20-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
I'd imagine the 2012's are longer then the 2010 and older. Starting at the 2011 MY, Jeep (Chrysler) started routing the front brake lines through the lower shock mount using some stupid bracket. The lines themselves are plenty long if you reroute them and cut off the bracket. They're actually longer than the Crown SS lines I replaced them with. Basically the only reason you'd replace them is for a more positive brake feel.

That being said, I am running a RK 2.5" lift and forget what length brake lines I could probably find out, but it'd take some doing as I ordered them almost 2 years ago.

Edit: after reading your post a little more thoroughly, yeah, the 2011+ models have a bracket that holds them in the lower shock mount. If you reroute the brakelines, there's no need for that bracket so you can just cut it off. And as I already said, the 2011+ lines are longer then the previous model years. The older Crown SS lines should work fine if you don't try to route them like the factory ones. I'm pretty certain that's what I'm using.
Ah, okay. Well per the instructions of the lift kit, they recommended ditching that bracket anyway. My front brake lines weren't really the issue... I think there was plenty of length there with the bracket gone. I can see how Crown would need to start supplying longer lines to run them through that bracket. So no bracket, perhaps no problem.

I mostly went for the brake lines because my rear lines were the limiting factor. As long as those are the same throughout the model years then it sounds like I'm good to go. But I had figured at the time, if I was going to upgrade my rear lines, then I would do the fronts too, and go for SS for better pedal feel.

Sounds like some measureing needs to happen when I get home. But now I can see how both NR and Crown would have been correct in their comments.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Ah, okay. Well per the instructions of the lift kit, they recommended ditching that bracket anyway. My front brake lines weren't really the issue... I think there was plenty of length there with the bracket gone. I can see how Crown would need to start supplying longer lines to run them through that bracket. So no bracket, perhaps no problem.

I mostly went for the brake lines because my rear lines were the limiting factor. As long as those are the same throughout the model years then it sounds like I'm good to go. But I had figured at the time, if I was going to upgrade my rear lines, then I would do the fronts too, and go for SS for better pedal feel.

Sounds like some measureing needs to happen when I get home. But now I can see how both NR and Crown would have been correct in their comments.
Exactly. Just depends on how you want to route them. I honestly like them just straight down from the hard line to the caliper without all the crazy routing. Aftermarket lines look better that way. Did you get a certain color, or just clear/black sheathing?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Exactly. Just depends on how you want to route them. I honestly like them just straight down from the hard line to the caliper without all the crazy routing. Aftermarket lines look better that way. Did you get a certain color, or just clear/black sheathing?
Just the black ones. Boo hoo. I wanted to throw some crazy color on there (because my Gecko needed some extra flare ), but NR4x4 only had the black ones and the price couldn't be beat.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Just the black ones. Boo hoo. I wanted to throw some crazy color on there (because my Gecko needed some extra flare ), but NR4x4 only had the black ones and the price couldn't be beat.
I don't remember what I paid for mine, but they weren't bad. Ordered them when I ordered my lift, etc. so I was waiting anyway. Got yellow to match my rig.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just keep a eye on the rear where the hard and brake line meet. My stock rear sway bar tore the connection where they meet
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brakes

I should have looked at the routing more before I bought. I may have just re-routed them more like a TJs in the front. along w/the wheel speed sensor wire.

But I didn't really look, I just replaced them w/longer.

had I done that, I most likely could have just kept the stock ones. and only had to bleed them because of removing just the top part.

whoever installed my lift (before I bought it) had the driver rear brake line rubbing the shock. it was almost to the point of dangerous anyway, so I decided to just use longer lines anyway. Also at full rear drop, the rears were going to give!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Thanks all for the help! Also David at NR4x4 cleared up everything for me and I'm going to stick with the ones I bought. I guess the concern would be that if the lines are too long in the front and you aren't using that bracket that the 2012s have, then you risk getting them caught in something.

And ya, I do know about the rear hard line/seay bar issue. When we test fitted the sway bar links the other night, we saw that it would hit the hard line. So again, David just recommended relocating the hard line.

Yay... Another project...

Quick Reply: Please Help Me With Crown SS Brake Lines