Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help me choose a lift

Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help me choose a lift

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on a lift kit, but there is a lot of information and it can be hard to navigate.

Here are my criteria:

1. Cost is not important.
2. I don't want to go high...actually 2 or 2.5" would be perfect, but...
3. I want a "complete" kit, meaning no twisted axles, driveline problems, etc. If there is no such thing as a complete kit of this type, I don't mind buying other components, but they have to exist for me to buy. Above all, I don't want any driveline issues whatsoever.
4. I would like this to be a "turnkey" or "plug and play" kit. Meaning once it's installed, I would really not want to have any further issues with it ever. I'm not planning on putting on larger tires...the stock 32s on my Rubicon will stay, and when they go, be replaced with 33s at the most, or even another set of the factory 32s (I really like them).
5. I need this lift to be able to do moderate trails at places like Rausch Creek without extensive rubbing on the rocks. A friend with a TJ and a 2" bb has no problems on these trails.
EDIT: Forgot to mention - 6. Should affect on road ride and handling as little as possible.

I was looking at the Terra Flex budget boost, but people have mentioned that it leads to crooked or twisted axles that can result in driveline and or tire wear.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mike JK; 06-25-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say just get a 2" if you keeping the 32"s.

Teraflex makes em.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

I have the Teraflex 2.5" and 33's and love it. I didn't get new shocks but do plan on getting some later on down the road. I really like Old Man Emu shocks and they aren't out yet. When they come out I will get them. There are other great shocks out there, I just like the OME shocks from past experience.

I have NO issues from the tera lift. The only thing that someone might say is the axels aren't perfectly centered now. You CAN'T tell by looking at it. It is only off by about 1/4" New front and rear track bars would allow you to addjust this out but I see no reason to spend over 300 bucks to do this. You might want to consider waiting on a lift for a while. OME will probably have a great 2 inch lift out later this year.

You could buy skyjacker springs (2.5") and then buy all the arms and trackbars and shocks from someone else (full traction, teraflex) but I don't know if you really need all that.

Bryan
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's the off center axles that concern me...

Won't that cause driveline problems or at the very least wheel alignment problems?

Do you mean not centered as in crooked or not centered as in no centered in the wheel wells, but even side to side?
What are the consequences, if any?

Last edited by Mike JK; 06-25-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

He probably means that the axle is not centered underneath the frame. That can be corrected with an adjustable track bar.

If you go with a 2.5" lift, you will still need to adjust the caster angle for your alignment. You can do this by replacing the front control arms with adjustable ones. Not exactly sure if you need bottom and top control arms for that and I haven't done it yet.

As far as I can tell, the Full Traction 3" Premium or Ultimate (if price is not an issue) has what you are looking for and it gives you the option to get bigger tires in the future if you decide.

If I could go back and do it over again and not have budget issues, I would buy the 3" Full Traction Ultimate. As a matter of fact mine will probably be built up to that over the next year or so.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
He probably means that the axle is not centered underneath the frame. That can be corrected with an adjustable track bar.

If you go with a 2.5" lift, you will still need to adjust the caster angle for your alignment. You can do this by replacing the front control arms with adjustable ones. Not exactly sure if you need bottom and top control arms for that and I haven't done it yet.

As far as I can tell, the Full Traction 3" Premium or Ultimate (if price is not an issue) has what you are looking for and it gives you the option to get bigger tires in the future if you decide.

If I could go back and do it over again and not have budget issues, I would buy the 3" Full Traction Ultimate. As a matter of fact mine will probably be built up to that over the next year or so.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

So what happens to all those people who drive with the 2.5" lift without adjustable control arms?

Would I also need to adjust caster for a 2" lift?

What about the Black Diamond 3" lift? Cost may not be an issue, but that doesn't mean I want to spend more than I have to.

For that matter, what about the Superlift/BD 2" spacer lift? Superlift claims nothing else is required with a 2" lift...do they lie?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given that you are keeping the 32's an only doing mild off road, you should also consider the FT 2" BB. It's 2" in front, and 1.5" back. Super easy to install. Just do not install the track bar bracket.
If you have any concern what so ever about the axle shifting, then get an adjustable track bar, and call it good.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
Given that you are keeping the 32's an only doing mild off road, you should also consider the FT 2" BB. It's 2" in front, and 1.5" back. Super easy to install. Just do not install the track bar bracket.
If you have any concern what so ever about the axle shifting, then get an adjustable track bar, and call it good.
Do I need different heights? Aren't 2 doors level?

Also...should I be concerned about axle shift?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike JK
Thanks for the help, everyone.

So what happens to all those people who drive with the 2.5" lift without adjustable control arms?

Would I also need to adjust caster for a 2" lift?

What about the Black Diamond 3" lift? Cost may not be an issue, but that doesn't mean I want to spend more than I have to.

For that matter, what about the Superlift/BD 2" spacer lift? Superlift claims nothing else is required with a 2" lift...do they lie?
Without the control arms, the caster cannot be set back to the factory settings ( at least 2.5" and up - no experience with 2" or less ). There is another option which is to knock out some holes where the lower control arms attach and add some elongated bolts.

THe effect of not having the caster set right, at least for my setup is that the steering is a little darty.

With a 2" you may be able to get the adjustment right without any other mods. With 2.5" I am still 3 or 4 degrees out of adustment.

As far as the Black Diamond lifts go, I don't see that they come with the control arms for the 3" lift, but they do sell spacer lifts.

I am sure that other 2" BBs will work just fine if you stay at 32"- 33" tires. It just sounded like you were looking for a turnkey kit that will give you no other issues.

I am quite happy with my 2.5" lift right now, except for the dartiness. I opted for my particular kit because it was a reasonable price for lift with springs and shocks. I didn't really want spacers.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

So let's see if I'm getting this right...

The feeling I'm getting from this and other threads is that a 2" lift doesn't have any issues, but a 2.5" lift is pushing it without control arms, track bars, etc?

Quick Reply: Please help me choose a lift