Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please Help! Jeep won't turn left!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Jeep won't turn left!

All,

I am not sure what to do or what is wrong with my Jeep and could really use some help.

It all started with my friend asking me to ride over one of those parking dividers in a parking lot...yes albeit lame...after a good bit of pleading I said..ok fine....

well I went over the divider which is nothing compared to rock gardens... and bam afterwords the jeep started creeking...and wouldnt turn right....

I am pretty sure this is because somehow the swaybar is being pushed down into the axle and binding it. I tried to disconnect however the Jeep is not level and the bolt is crooked. The whole front end is sitting much higher than it used to...looks more like a 4" lift now than a 2.5" BB.

I know the swaybar binding it and not allowing me to turn left is only part of the issue...but if I thought if I could disconnect I could at least get the jeep to the dealership which is less than 1/2 a mile away.

We managed (with 3 people) to lift i while someone was turning so that the swaybar went to the otherside of the axle and it turned left...but then it couldnt turn left.

Please, does anyone have any sort of advice....on what is wrong...and how to fix..or at least help me be educated when i go to the dealer and they blame the BB or something....

Old 06-15-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nevermind the pm i sent ya... i see a picture that shows what i thought was incorrect.... i can't believe this

this is crazy!
Old 06-15-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your sway bar links should be vertical. Jack the body on one or both sides until you can remove the sway bar links. That should release the bind and set the jeep level again.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

You do not have a electronic sway bar disconnect do you??
Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

No I do not...started with a basic X...I will try jacking it....
Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

The sway bar links should be vertical and the sway bar it's self should be almost level horizontally.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Thanks Robar, I'll try removing the links, but am wondering what is pushing it down and why is the suspension in the front sitting so high? I am thinking something else is broken...
Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

From the limited pics that is the only thing I can see wrong. You may check your axles, front drive shaft and control arms for a bend.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sitting so high because the swaybar links are forcing the axle towards the rear and since the axle can't go straight back it go's down hence lifting the front. I really have no freakin idea how you did that, having said that you should be ok once you get those links off and rotate the swaybar back up into the proper position. Be carefull it looks like there may be a fair amount of strain on those bolts.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

ya man, you got your sway bar caught up in your steering linkage. If you had it disconnected, it's just free floating in there and you must have twisted it just right to do that. You just need to get the swaybar on the other side of your steering linkage, so that the links are straight up and down

Quick Reply: Please Help! Jeep won't turn left!