Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

please help with gears

Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with gears

i have a '08 unlimited X and i am trying to figure out what brand to get for my regear. i have stock gears i think 3.73 and down housing from what i read. if at all possible please leave any and all comments that could help i have about a 1200.00 max on this and am having the install done by my uncle (a qualified mechanic) i just want to know what is the deal with different regions of gears like asian, american, ect. thanks to everyone

kinda going crazy over this crap
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Superior and Yukon are going to probably be the two popular brands for gears. Which tire size are you trying to run? And do you have an auto or manual transmission? Those two answers are going to help with determining which gears to go with.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Unless something has changed recently, the only US made 'JK' gears are the 4.88's, for D44's only, by US Gear. All other brands/ratios are still coming out of the same factory in asia, and boxed for whoever is selling them. Compare prices and warranties and get whichever sounds good.

Plan on $550 (ish) for two sets of gears and two overhaul kits. Regular install kits will save you a bit of money, but new bearings are a good thing, so consider the overhauls. Also, if you have a front D30 with 3.21's currently, you will want a new carrier for it. If you have 3.73 or 4.10, you will not need it.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

i am running stock rims and tires right now but soon will have a 3 inch BSD suspension lift and 35s. also i have a Manuel transmission
Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cballz
i am running stock rims and tires right now but soon will have a 3 inch BSD suspension lift and 35s. also i have a Manual transmission
Here's the chart that everyone uses to find the right gears. So, if 35's is as big as you want to go for tires, you might not need new gears (depending on if you have 3.21's or 3.73's already) you might be able to save some cash and just pick up a tuner like the Superchips Flashpaq and be done with it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

I know that i want 4.88s in it but im not sure what company to use. I have heard of yukon , superior , and motive gear
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cballz
I know that i want 4.88s in it but im not sure what company to use. I have heard of yukon , superior , and motive gear
What the above poster said was all those company's for the most part are made by the same company. The product is just put in a different Box and shipped out. You really cant go wrong. Call Northridge and ask whats on special this week, they won't steer you wrong. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

thanks everyone if you have any other information please feel free to post anything and everything

Quick Reply: please help with gears