Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help with death wobble

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to take it out and hit some bumps on purpose, see what happens.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also don't forget to file a complaint on this very dangerous engineering flaw here..
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to start the steering stabilizer is not a fix it just mask the problem temporally. If the bolt holes to the track bar on the frame are out of round you can get 2 grade #8 washers and have them welded to both sides of the hole, which will make the hole round again. I am just telling you what I had to do.

The First pic is of the Bolt hole which is out of round and the second pic is of the washer welded on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Trackbar bolt.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	180844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110119_113849 - Copy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	180845  
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

this looks like the way to go. I'm gonna weld the washers anyways.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CM5280
For me at 39k miles, ball joints were shot.
Less than that...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Sounds horrible I hope I don't have to have that crap
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrylb73
Well to start the steering stabilizer is not a fix it just mask the problem temporally. If the bolt holes to the track bar on the frame are out of round you can get 2 grade #8 washers and have them welded to both sides of the hole, which will make the hole round again. I am just telling you what I had to do.

The First pic is of the Bolt hole which is out of round and the second pic is of the washer welded on.
A much easier fix would be just buy a frame side track bar mount brace. It'll reinforce that weak bracket and prevent ovaling. I don't know why people don't install a brace to begin with before the stock mount fails.

I hear ya on the scared to take it on the highway. Once you've experienced DW, even when you have it figured out, you're always waiting for it to come back. I've had DW in my last 3 Jeeps.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took the trackbar out today: one of the bushings was completely out of order and causing a considerable amount of play when turning the steering wheel. the brackets look in a good shape and not ovaling, so the cause was most probably the bad bushing. Drove the Jeep with the new bushing and new steering stabilizer on the highway and hit on purpose lots of bump than slowed down trying to provoke a DW but nothing occured. I really hope it's cured, but like the above post said once you experienced it you're always waiting for that moment when it will occur again
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

which track bar are you running? check out the rock krawler track bar. the bushings are tighter than you can imagine. you won't get play in that thing. solid like a rock.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Commented on another thread about this. Had the same problem with DW. Track bar was the culprit. Went to a JKS adjustable, new shocks and better tire. Problem solved. The tires were too heavy an couldn't get balanced. Start cheap and small then up to the more expensive. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Please help with death wobble