Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help with death wobble

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with death wobble

I owned the Jeep for almost a year and it's the first time I experience smthg that scary in a car. Violent and uncontrolled shaking that wouldnt go off until I was able to stop the Jeep.
Yesterday the jeep was in the shop to replace the front axle shaft U-joints that were pretty busted. on my way back home the steering felt weird but I thought it's because of the newly greased U-joints. Today while going through a slightly bumpy road the death wobble occured twice in a row.
What could have caused this? please help
Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CPC1
I owned the Jeep for almost a year and it's the first time I experience smthg that scary in a car. Violent and uncontrolled shaking that wouldnt go off until I was able to stop the Jeep.
Yesterday the jeep was in the shop to replace the front axle shaft U-joints that were pretty busted. on my way back home the steering felt weird but I thought it's because of the newly greased U-joints. Today while going through a slightly bumpy road the death wobble occured twice in a row.
What could have caused this? please help
they did not tighten something or anything to specs. take it back to them unless you can take it on yourself. follow planman's thread on fixing DW.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm taking it back tomorrow to the shop. Do you think it has anything to do with the new U-joints? When moving the steering wheel I feel like the frame is kind of "moving independantly" from the body, is it the trackbar?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Trackbar is often the main cause of DW. double check if its properly torque to 125 ft-lbs
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

For me at 39k miles, ball joints were shot.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPC1
I'm taking it back tomorrow to the shop. Do you think it has anything to do with the new U-joints? When moving the steering wheel I feel like the frame is kind of "moving independantly" from the body, is it the trackbar?
From this description, it definitely sounds like a loose track bar. Get under there and make sure they are tight on both ends. As mentioned to 125 ft lb torque with a torque wrench. Get one if you don't have one.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would recommend that you pull the bolt from the track bar on the frame side to make sure that the bolt hole is not out of round. It only takes one good D.W. to wallow out the bolt hole to the track bar. Once it is out of round you will not be able to tighten it enough to keep it from doing the D.W. If the bolt hole is still round then like said before make sure it is tightened to specs.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

https://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...g+death+wobble

check this thread someone gave me it when i had the death wobble. i got a jks adjustable trackbar with rockhard bushings then a steering stabilizer and it cured it. bigger tires help too for some reason. good luck and dont give up lol
Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

also.. no joke.. print out that thread and take it to the dealer and say.. have your mechanic follow this and check everything. also.. not very often.. but it has happened.. but have your tires checked for balance... and make sure they are still round. I was one of the few cases that bad tires contributed to death wobble.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks everyone for the input, I took it to the shop today, and checked everything: nothing wrong with the trackbar. However while removing the steering stabilizer we noticed that it were completly busted and loose. Installed a new heavy duty one. I drove the Jeep around and no problem but I'm still kind of afraid to take it on the highway. Will check again for the trackbar holes, i dont want the new stabilizer to mask any existing problem. Anyone had DW because of the steering stabilizer??? What to do if the trackbar brackets are oval??

Quick Reply: Please help with death wobble