Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help with control arms

Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with control arms

I have had the AEV dual sport xt 2.5 lift with the geomtry correction brackets on for about 6 months. This is my dd driver and I really love how this kit handles on the road. The thing is I have been doing a lot more off roading at Rausch Creek and a few other places and my lower control arms are taking a beating. I have been thinking about removing the brackets and installing either Rock Krawler or Teraflex arms for more clearance. My real concern is if I do this am I going to lose my on road handling? And if I do who makes the heaviest with the most clearance arms? If I do I am going to replace all 8 of them. Thanks for the help Charlie
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie4
I have had the AEV dual sport xt 2.5 lift with the geomtry correction brackets on for about 6 months. This is my dd driver and I really love how this kit handles on the road. The thing is I have been doing a lot more off roading at Rausch Creek and a few other places and my lower control arms are taking a beating. I have been thinking about removing the brackets and installing either Rock Krawler or Teraflex arms for more clearance. My real concern is if I do this am I going to lose my on road handling? And if I do who makes the heaviest with the most clearance arms? If I do I am going to replace all 8 of them. Thanks for the help Charlie
RK will give you the best clearance. You may notice a difference on road handling. I'm using WP control arms with standard rubber bushings. I would like something with a flex/johnny joint for the articulation, but I hear the basic rubber bushing style is silent and more absorbing/comfortable for street. I'm still on the fence as well, for now my WP bushing control arms do the job all around.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k0260
RK will give you the best clearance. You may notice a difference on road handling. I'm using WP control arms with standard rubber bushings. I would like something with a flex/johnny joint for the articulation, but I hear the basic rubber bushing style is silent and more absorbing/comfortable for street. I'm still on the fence as well, for now my WP bushing control arms do the job all around.
Thanks I am really on the fence about this I don't want to lose my on road handling like I said this is my dd driver. I am running 33" duratracs now maybe I should be looking more into flat fenders and bigger tires for the extra clearance? And of course changing gears
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all 8 Currie control arms and like them. I've been running them since January of 11.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

I run all 8 RK arms. They are super heavy duty and offer a higher clearance than most. I can't compare the ride to your AEV as I have never rode in an AEV lifted vehicle but mine drives very good on the road, fantastic flex off road. RK 3.5 suspension, drag link flip, fox 2.0's, 37" MTR's.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Have you looked at Metal Cloak? They are expensive but from what I've read they work really well on and off road.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

At 2.5" of lift, your drive even without the brackets shouldn't be terrible. Adding a set of front lower adjustable arms like you are thinking about will basically do the same thing as the AEV brackets do. That is simply getting your caster back in line. There may be some benefit to the brackets since they return the angle of your control arms back to stock but I don't think that will translate to a way better ride than using adj arms at your height.

Go grab the RK arms, set them to 23 1/8" and your Jeep should be back or very close to stock caster (an alignment after installing can't hurt!). That will give you a ride that is very close to what you have now with the brackets. But you will gain a lot of clearance for off-road use.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with RK arms. your handling will stay exactly the same if you set the arms at the right lengths and get your caster right.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by charlie4
Thanks I am really on the fence about this I don't want to lose my on road handling like I said this is my dd driver. I am running 33" duratracs now maybe I should be looking more into flat fenders and bigger tires for the extra clearance? And of course changing gears
You are not going to lose any road handling if you lift your jeep properly. The brackets do a nice job, but they are far from giving the best handling on the road.

Rubber bushing do help obsorb road viberations and noise. Honestly I did not notice much difference or any difference with the Johnny Joints we run on our control arms.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

cant go wrong with these....proven joints on both ends and on jeep adjustability makes it easy to dial in.

EVO: Suspension / Steering, EVO MFG(8) Adventure Series Front Lower JK Control Arms

Quick Reply: Please help with control arms