Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help before I lose my mind - I'm "clanking"

Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help before I lose my mind - I'm "clanking"

***Female with no mechanical ability alert!***

Bet you guys think this and this after reading this one!

After getting the FT lift and new gears I developed a "clank". It is not a "clink" or a "clunk" but a "clank". Clunk would be something big and heavy hitting...my clank sounds like a lighter weight metal (but not light enough to "clink"), and it is a sharp sound not a dull "clunk". It clanks on pavement at the slightest road imperfection, it clanks at acceleration, it clanks when I make a turn. Sitting in the driver's seat I thought it was coming from the front end somewhere, but I'm having a hard time trying to replicate it when I'm parked in the driveway and bouncing the jeep or trying to shake things under there.

It is driving me crazy and it's so bad that I am actually embarrassed to drive the jeep, which is really not good because I love to drive my jeep. It seems to be getting worse and louder every day. Besides the embarrassment, if something is hitting I obviously need to find the problem and fix it.

Can anyone give me specifics on what I should be checking or what might be causing the clanking, in as simple and detailed language as possible. I'm a willing and eager student and have been learning more about the underside of my jeep than I ever thought I would, but I'm still learning what all the parts under there are and how they go together!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

I would presume that it has nothing to do with the new gears. I would suggest checking the torque or how tight the bolts are on the new suspension items such as the sway bar links, control arms, and track bars. Basically if it looks new or not stock then make sure it is tight and not worn.

EDIT: If that dosen't work get one of the SO CA people to look at it with you.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if this is your problem or not but have you seen this thread?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/clicking-noise-10089/
Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Probably should've said that we already checked/tightened all the bolts and lubed all of the grease points.

Already went through the problem in that link RacerX...that was a "click", not a clank, clink or clunk That one has since been corrected!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Have you checked the heat shields to see if they have come loose?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Have you checked the heat shields to see if they have come loose?
I hadn't, but I have now. That just might be it. The rear one over the exhaust - it doesn't appear to be loose where it's bolted, but when I grab the one corner and flex it a tiny bit it makes a sound very similar to what I've been hearing. Will play around with it and see what might be causing it/how to stop it.

Thanks Robar!

My neighbor's mother pulled up across the street while I was poking around under the jeep...she had to come over to ask me "Are you having a bad day dear?" She's probably asking my neighbor now what's with the woman laying under the jeep across the street?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

I hope that was the problem.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had this problem with mine, it ended up the bushing on the rear trac bar was dried up. So just pulled it off greased it up, and its silent now.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

is your read track bar hitting your coil springs?

It'll make that noise.... If My Jk's fully loaded it'll hit. I'm lazy and havent fixed it yet.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

The rear heat shield was hitting so we bent that a bit so it doesn't hit anymore. But that wasn't the loud noise I'm getting.

When the Jets' game ended I had Bill bounce the jeep some more. It's definitely in the front end "some place" but still can't pin it down exactly. I don't see anything hitting, everything's been greased...

Guess I'm going to have to find someone knowledgeable to take it out for a ride and stick their head underneath (not at the same time ).

Quick Reply: Please help before I lose my mind - I'm "clanking"