Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help

Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJeepJunkie
Well I have an 08 with a 4" lift and 35"s I get 170 miles out of a full tank of gas so any mpg gain will be a big help but I would mostly run it on performance I have a dynomax SS muffler and cold air intake and I have done the viper throttle body mod

Which one is best for my set up
Damn!! That sucks but you really need to regear to 4.88 or 5.13 especially if you plan on going to 37 in. tires one day. I didn't read anything about your gearing and with that kind of MPG I'd bet a dime to a donut that regearing and Superchips will solve your problem. Hell I've got a hemi and get 240 miles to a tank at a minimum and that's putting my foot into it...lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you get 170 miles out of a tank, I have a few questions

1. Did you recalibrate your speedometer when you put 35's on? if not, your speedo is off and so is you odometer. The 170 miles being registered is way off and cannot be used to calculate your mpg whether using the computer or doing it by hand. You need to know what distance you actually traveled.

2. Assuming you did recalibrate your speedo (and I am thinking you did not), how many gallons of gas does each fill up take? If you wheel and have maybe crushed your tank a bit, you might not be getting accurate readings on full and empty.

Keep in mind that a programmer does a few things that are major and a few things that are minor.

Major things

1. recalibrate your speedo to adjust for gear changes and tire size changes
2. adjust your tire pressure sensors for airing down or not running them at all
3. Some allow for Rubi lockers to be used in 4-high
4. Reading and clearing DTC codes

Minor things

1. Performance tunes - yes, I said minor. The performance gains are not big. Yes, maybe notieable but you are shaving maybe 0.001 seconds off your best 0-60 time. The major reason why people feel a difference is through the speedo calibration which puts your shift points (for an auto) back in line to where they should be. If you haven't calibrated your speedo, your shift points are off and most likely making your Jeep feel sluggish.

2. MPG increase - this depends on what tune you run. Use the 93 octane tune and your mpg will probably decrease. Run the gas saver mode and it should increase. By how much? probably not more than 1 to 2 mpg if you are lucky but even then, it's hard to actualy quantify since there are so many variables like what roads you drive, how fast, wind, type of gas (winter vs summer blends), temperature outside, etc... But on average, expect little to no improvement from the actual tunes.

You may think you are seeing improvements, however, they are most liekly due to your speedo being calibrated properly.

I am no knocking tuners. I run the Superchips but I find I use it mostly for the other features. Something you can get much cheaper from an AEV Procal which sells for about $150 new.

As for the best possible performance mod you can do without putting in a new engine? It was said above....Re-gear!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should really save the "please help" thread title for being stuck out in the woods, or throwing codes that make no sense.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
When you say you get 170 miles out of a tank, I have a few questions

1. Did you recalibrate your speedometer when you put 35's on? if not, your speedo is off and so is you odometer. The 170 miles being registered is way off and cannot be used to calculate your mpg whether using the computer or doing it by hand. You need to know what distance you actually traveled.

2. Assuming you did recalibrate your speedo (and I am thinking you did not), how many gallons of gas does each fill up take? If you wheel and have maybe crushed your tank a bit, you might not be getting accurate readings on full and empty.

Keep in mind that a programmer does a few things that are major and a few things that are minor.

Major things

1. recalibrate your speedo to adjust for gear changes and tire size changes
2. adjust your tire pressure sensors for airing down or not running them at all
3. Some allow for Rubi lockers to be used in 4-high
4. Reading and clearing DTC codes

Minor things

1. Performance tunes - yes, I said minor. The performance gains are not big. Yes, maybe notieable but you are shaving maybe 0.001 seconds off your best 0-60 time. The major reason why people feel a difference is through the speedo calibration which puts your shift points (for an auto) back in line to where they should be. If you haven't calibrated your speedo, your shift points are off and most likely making your Jeep feel sluggish.

2. MPG increase - this depends on what tune you run. Use the 93 octane tune and your mpg will probably decrease. Run the gas saver mode and it should increase. By how much? probably not more than 1 to 2 mpg if you are lucky but even then, it's hard to actualy quantify since there are so many variables like what roads you drive, how fast, wind, type of gas (winter vs summer blends), temperature outside, etc... But on average, expect little to no improvement from the actual tunes.

You may think you are seeing improvements, however, they are most liekly due to your speedo being calibrated properly.

I am no knocking tuners. I run the Superchips but I find I use it mostly for the other features. Something you can get much cheaper from an AEV Procal which sells for about $150 new.

As for the best possible performance mod you can do without putting in a new engine? It was said above....Re-gear!!!!!!
Thank you I'm running the stock 3:21 gearing and I think I'm going to go with superchip instead of hypertech thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: Please help