Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

please help

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they need replacing should i go with factory replacement or go with aftermarket? If so what kinds are good?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

dialing in what works for aligning a lifted jeep requires someone who is familiar with how far out of factory spec he needs to go (coils W/ trac-bar experience)
Sounds like you have some bump steer. oddly enough I didn't have bump steer till I put the stock tires back on for winter! go figure
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet it is your track bar. If the bolts are tight, take them out and inspect the bolt holes on the frame and axle brackets for the track bar. The bolt holes may be wallowed out. If they are, that is the issue and there are a couple of ways to fix them. Either by welding grade 8 washers over each hole or by putting a Full Traction reinforcement bracket and brace on the drivers side and a JKS steering stabilizer relocation bracket on the axle side. Those two brackets will cure the wallowed out holes. I have the washers on mine now, but just ordered both of those brackets. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys i will check it out. at first i thought it was just because i am still running stock wheels and tires but i dont know alot about it. Only does it when i hit something pretty hard and when i hit more on the drivers side when i hit like a bump square with both tires it doesnt so it but its driving me crazy and it shakes hard im worried something is going to fall off lol
Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by gregkelley
I recently put a lift kit on.my 07 wrang X and i took it to a 4x4 shop n got an alignment done and had my axels centered but not long after when i would hit a good bump i get a pretty good vibration in thw front it last a few seconds then stops i was told that it could he my ateering stabelizer is this true or is.it something else
Sounds like bump steer,I had the death wobble going on in our 07 jk.did the drag link flip,up graded the trac-bar,heavier tie rod,problem fixed.Death wobble needs to be fix soon,otherwise it will damage all your joints.Most death wobble,happens at lower speeds and have to come to complete stop.Larger steering stabilizer will not help.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

If everything is tight and no holes wollowed out how do you fix bump steer?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

That's what she said?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is everything tight?? Or did you torque the track bars to spec? When I put my lift I had 'Em tight, but kept getting a shimmy and flighty steering. Crawled under and did track bars to 125ft lb and everything was perfect.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If it isn't components or install related, check your steering geometry.

This vid was put together by TeraFlex, and shows what to look for in the geometry
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3016...02496289IjoMUo
Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Do you feel it in your steering wheel also? I just installed my rc 3.75" lift and have similar symptoms.
Going to try the following mod to see if it helps.
Pg 2 has pics if your not mechanically inclined.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...steering+clunk

Quick Reply: please help