Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please clear the air on lifts?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please clear the air on lifts?

Lifting my Jeep is my next step. But, I'm fairly confused as to all of my choices. I hear anything really over 4 inches will lead to driveshaft problems, etc, etc. I don't really want to have to deal with any of that at all. So I figured I'd stay under a 3 inch lift because that's all I really want anyway. But, then when I go and look at lifts like the teraflex 2.5 lift...people say you end up getting way more than 2.5 inches of lift. And then on top of that some guy was talking to me about his AEV 4.5 inch lift the other day and I asked if he had any drive shaft problems and he assured me because it was an AEV lift you wouldn't have any of that...I had a feeling the guy knew very little about his jeep and just took it to a shop and told them what he wanted. So my question to you is what height you would go with to avoid drive shaft, control arm and any other problems that lifts could cause. And what companies measurements are actually true and accurate.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Traction 3" lift here. No control arms, just their Economy Plus lift; running 37's.

My steering is fine and no driveshaft issues front or rear caused from the lift.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2773354351.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	221795  
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

AEV 4.5 lift here on 37's. No problems with either driveshaft. Steering and handling is sharper and better than ever before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	221801Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	221802
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answers to most of your questions can be found here.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...272#post211272

Lifts below 3" usually don't come with adjustable control arms. Lifts at 3" and up your going to want adjustable controls arms so that you can adjust your pinion angle and castor. The major brands that you'll commonly see on the forum are Full Traction and TeraFlex. There are also several others. Visit local 4 X 4 shops in your area to see what brands in in use in your area. It's nice to have local support if you need it. Below 3" your driveshafts will be OK for quite awhile. The actual lift height that you get from a lift is dependant on how much weight you bolt onto your jeep.

Last edited by KenB1010; 10-10-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think that's his figuring out, I'm with jugast and would like to here what people (everyone else) have learned and figured out senses 2007. Its like hands on per person telling you what lift and tires they have and what kind of off roading they do and what problems they have had and have done to fix them.

Quick Reply: Please clear the air on lifts?