Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Play in front drive shaft question?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in front drive shaft question?

I have a 07 Rubicon 5.13 gears. I just installed some Tom Woods drive shafts and noticed I am able to twist the front shaft about 1 or .5 inch left and right. Should I have any play in the front shaft? I know it’s not engaged but just wandering if this is normal. If not what could be the issue?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I have this same issue and hear a clunk in 4 wheel drive when I get on and off the gas
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not getting a clunk in 4 yet. Just has some play not sure if that is ok when 4 is unengaged.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

fishguy can you actually move the front drive shaft when the jeep is in park?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Twisty101
fishguy can you actually move the front drive shaft when the jeep is in park?
Yes I can
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Ive got the same problem with my 08 4 door. The front and rear drive shaft both have play. Any input if this is normal or how to fix it would be great.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed my Tom Woods front drive shaft a few days ago. I have NO play in the drive shaft itself. However, I do have some play between the transfer case and the front differential. If I grab the dive shaft and try to rotate it the whole shaft will turn back and forth just a bit. The rear drive shaft will do the same thing too. Mine did this when it was completely stock right off the showroom floor. As far as I know this is completely normal. If there is slop in the drive shaft itself... than that's no good!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A large amount of play is only normal if there is an auto locker up front. Mine has about 10 degrees of play. Stock only moves a tiny bit, maybe 2-3degrees. Someone may know the specific specs on this though.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

I know I have asked this before, but just want to verify...If I grab the cv joint of the front driveshaft and try to move it up and down, there is a little play with the yoke at the xfer caase. is that normal as well?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
A large amount of play is only normal if there is an auto locker up front. Mine has about 10 degrees of play. Stock only moves a tiny bit, maybe 2-3degrees. Someone may know the specific specs on this though.
Does this apply to stock Rubicon lockers as well?

Originally Posted by kflash
I know I have asked this before, but just want to verify...If I grab the cv joint of the front driveshaft and try to move it up and down, there is a little play with the yoke at the xfer caase. is that normal as well?
I don't know... I don't have any play in mine as you described. I wonder if your transfer case yoke nut is torqued down enough?

Quick Reply: Play in front drive shaft question?