Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plastic weld epoxy

Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic weld epoxy

My one have any experience using this on their fenders or bumpers? I was thinking of stubbing my stock bumper and using the extra plastic from the ends to cover the exposed ends without using rivets or screws
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JKCloak
My one have any experience using this on their fenders or bumpers? I was thinking of stubbing my stock bumper and using the extra plastic from the ends to cover the exposed ends without using rivets or screws
i believe that woods from 4xfix did this with great results. you might want to contact him.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

i believe that woods from 4xfix did this with great results. you might want to contact him.
I'll have to check that out! Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats what i did.

used a piece that i cut out of the end caps and then epoxied it to the end

Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apostle
thats what i did.

used a piece that i cut out of the end caps and then epoxied it to the end
That's exactly what I'm going for! Thanks for the input, it looks much better like that than with the aftermarket end caps IMO
Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is how I stubbied my stock front bumper when I did it. I used a soddering iron to melt the pieces together or as it's called, plastic weld.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is how I did mine too, except I cut it so it would fold back and only have joints on the top and bottom. I Plastic welded(soldered) the seams back together using the extra plastic to flll in the seams. I also used plastic bumper repair epoxy on the back(inside) of the seams for added strength. It's been on both of my jeeps and is holding up well after 4+ years.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkbite
That is how I did mine too, except I cut it so it would fold back and only have joints on the top and bottom. I Plastic welded(soldered) the seams back together using the extra plastic to flll in the seams. I also used plastic bumper repair epoxy on the back(inside) of the seams for added strength. It's been on both of my jeeps and is holding up well after 4+ years.
Thanks for the tips! Im looking to do something extremely similar to your bumper, was it a pit to mount the winch like that? That's how I'm wanting to mount my winch as well
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKCloak
Thanks for the tips! Im looking to do something extremely similar to your bumper, was it a pit to mount the winch like that? That's how I'm wanting to mount my winch as well
It was a little tricky, but not much harder than top mounting it.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this when I molded a front lip on the bumper of my car. Not too hard, pratice first on some scrap pieces.

I know it isnt a Jeep, but here is a before and after that shows it can be done with zero appearce of being welded.

Quick Reply: Plastic weld epoxy