Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plasti dip

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The time in between coats is a lot short then normal. There are pretty good videos on you tube showing the technique. Good luck
Augi
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freshly dipped rims

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3384762789.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	391734
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you overspray on the tires does this stuff wipe off pretty easy or are you taping off the tires? Doesn't sound like it. This sounds so much easier than painting, which is what I did. I need to touch Up mine now and I'm leaning towards just plasti dip or rattle can bed liner for ease of application standpoint. Everyone's rims look great in the pics.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sazerac_TX
When you overspray on the tires does this stuff wipe off pretty easy or are you taping off the tires? Doesn't sound like it. This sounds so much easier than painting, which is what I did. I need to touch Up mine now and I'm leaning towards just plasti dip or rattle can bed liner for ease of application standpoint. Everyone's rims look great in the pics.
It just flakes right off the rubber sidewalls. If you want a really clean edge on the wheels, use a toothpick or something to score around it after its dry.

The day I did it:

Name:	image-4286745669.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	391753

Name:	image-1968725694.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	391754

6 months & a few trails later:

Name:	image-3207929076.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	391755
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

After it dries on the tires, it literally peels off. I took a brush to mine just to wipe it off easier. It's not hard to get off. I put newspaper in the holes on the rims and sprayed them still mounted.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. And I wanted to add the only reason I'm touching up my paint job is due to it was applied unevenly--very easy to do with rattle can, but not with plastidip or bedliner from what I understand, which is why I'm leaning this way.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. And I wanted to add the only reason I'm touching up my paint job is due to it was applied unevenly--very easy to do with rattle can, but not with plastidip or bedliner from what I understand, which is why I'm leaning this way.
The best part if plasti dip is...you mess up pull it off and start over. If it gets scratched just paint that area. I have washed mine several times with the car wash pressure sprayer with no problems. I also have it on my fenders.

Quick Reply: Plasti dip