Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plasti Dip

Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
I did my wheels with it and I have taken it through the car wash many times no issues. The key is prep I wiped the wheels down with denatured alcohol to clean them then sprayed away a few light coats and they look awesome.
thinking about the Plasti-dip for my same kind of wheels.. How is the plasti-dip holding up now that it has been a while? thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Went through automatic car wash today. The rims held up great!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
I haven't bought a can yet, but from what I read so far, I think I may be getting HOOKED!!

Has anyone sucessfully Plasti-dipped the fenders/bumpers, and those trim pieces that have started to fade and look horrrible?

Mine is parked year round outside in Arizona, definitely the harshest enviroment for these black trim pieces. I would love to treat all these parts with Plasti-dip, but would like to hear more from people who have done it.

Let's hear it from all the plastic-dip addicts out there!! Because I think I will be joining your movement, it is like a gateway drug and I know I will soon be painting my entire Jeep, but I just can't resisit the urge to try!!!
You don't really need to plasti dip the bumper and fenders there are better products out there to take care of the fading. Try using forever black sold on amazon. It works very well and and it basically stains them permanently.
http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-.../dp/B000FOIJXQ
Old 04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nortski3
You don't really need to plasti dip the bumper and fenders there are better products out there to take care of the fading. Try using forever black sold on amazon. It works very well and and it basically stains them permanently.
http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-.../dp/B000FOIJXQ
I will check that stuff out, thanks for the tip!!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
I will check that stuff out, thanks for the tip!!
No problem. I used it on mine and I'm very happy with it.

I'm not against plasti dip, I did my whole motorcycle for a trip through baja Mexico. It held up pretty well and protected my paint for 2000 miles of thrashing through the desert on dirt roads.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcluck
I am going on some tight trails next weekend and am worried about getting a lot of scratches. It is be raining, so I won't take doors off. Will plasti dip protect paint against scratches? Then peel it off when we are done?
You could put some plastidip on the doors, it works like clear bra, but its not clear. After your run, just peel it off. Just make sure to put enough coats on them so it peels easy. Check out dip your car .com they have tutorials for dipping large parts and how to tape off and mask certain areas.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well i just finish redoing 1 tire and doing the spare. This time i sprayed from about 5-6 inches away and it turned out awesome!. 100% better then my first attempt spraying from 12-15" away which ended up looking like sandpaper. Unfortunately the peeling of an already dipped rim wasn't nearly as easy as I had hoped. The face of the rim peeled decently easy but the areas between were a pain. Ended up using WD-40 which worked very well to break it up. Unfortunately now I need to peel and repaint the other 3 :(
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeprin
How did this project turn out?
it turned out pretty good i need to order another gallon to even out the coating.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2789491747.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	301523   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3458974960.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	301524  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just bought plasti dip smoke off amazon. Plan on doing the wheels when it arrives.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

I can't wait to get a chance to plastidip my wheels

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip