Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PLastDip ?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLastDip ?

Trying to PlastiDip fenders that are grayed. They have a lot of wax on them. What ar y'all using to clean parts before plastidiping? Do I need to get this off for the PlastiDip to stick. I want this to hold for as long as possible.

I know bedlining is the thing to do but worried about mud stains etc.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

use rubbing alcohol and a scrub brush. that should help remove any oils without doing damage to the plastic. i'm sure brake cleaner would do the trick too but, i'm not too sure how well the plastic will hold up to that.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought some sandpaper, bumper/trim paint and primer. I plan on testing this out on the license plate frame first and see how it goes. If all well will do fenders, and bumpers..I think I was use something more permanent for the fenders rather then plasti dip, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I may opt for the paint. I see folks here using it for wheels so thought it would hold up pretty well?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I think both rustoleum and krylon have spray paint made for plastic. The krylon version is called fusion. I used it on the fenders for my sons tj as well as my wife's mini cooper. They came out looking like new and have held up well. Did my sons about two years ago. Showing their age now and need to be redone again. He has not washed it or treated the fenders in any way in the two years since I sprayed them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

As for prepping for plastidip, don't sand the surface, leave it as is. I would power wash the fenders and scrub them with a bristle brush and simple green, then your good to go.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't wait to see how this turns out
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can go to an automotive paint supply store. Look for products made my SEM. They make cleaners and preps for plastics, urethane bumpers, etc. They have available all types of paint in aerosol cans as well made specifically for plastics with a flex additive in the paint. I believe they have a flat, semi, satin, and gloss paints in black. I remember reading on here someone was going to linex their fenders and someone made a comment as to why? It might be a good idea seeing how when Jeep manufactured them they did not put enough chemicals for uv protection and don't quote me on this but the bedlining manufacturers have it in their product and they can be tinted to match the color of your Jeep.

Quick Reply: PLastDip ?