Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plans for the JK

Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plans for the JK

Ok guys...been reading a bunch here and starting to get a plan together to mod up the new 4dr. Here's what I'm planning:

Tires - Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial - 35x12.5x17.
Will these stick out past the stock flares? If so how much?

Wheels - Helo Black Maxx 6
Anyone know if I can get TPMS installed in these? If so, where can I get them?

Lift - Skyjacker 2.5"

Gears - probably going to leave the stock 3.73s for as long as I can...the first part of this is gonna cost a hefty bit! I'll probably jump up to the 5.13s when I change gears.

Spare Tire Holder - will the stock unit crap out under the weight of the new 35? If so, what's the best way to go?

Anything I'm missing?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anybody here really has issues with 12.5 inch tires sticking out beyond the flares. But then again, it all depends on wheel dimensions (Backspacing).

Many other people have 35's on the stock holder without issue.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

I agree the 12.5's will be fine...

The Hellos are nice wheels and yes TPMS will work with them....you can use your old sensors or get new ones from DTD...(They are a vendor here) you should get tires and wheels from him, he will match any price and customer service is second to none.

Spare tire will hold the 35's but you will need to bush out the bump stops about 2"...you can get solid round rubber that fits right inside the existing ones at Home Depot.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help guys. Somebody at Quadratech told the shop owner that's doing my work that the 35 would fit on the spare holder if properly shimmed out...however, he said that the weight of it would destroy the tail gate within 6 mos. Any truth to that? I've found the guys at Quadratech generally helpful and am inclined to believe him but wanted to check before I drop a couple hundred bucks on the solution.

I'll definitely check out DTD....I've had issues with another wheel vendor for a different car so solid customer service will be a welcome change!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

i'm only running a 285/70r17 with about 4.5" of BS and the tires only stick out about half an inch max past the flares. thats a 32.7x11.3 tire. if ur running 3.73s i'd go with gears as soon as possible. on the HWY my auto constanty shifts outta overdrive at the slightest hint of a hill or around 62-65 mph.

good luck and post pics when you get ur lift & tires
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Question smitlybilt

Don't they have a rear bumper that looks a little plain Jane, but does have a spare tire carrier for like 300 bucks?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Money Pit
Thanks for the help guys. Somebody at Quadratech told the shop owner that's doing my work that the 35 would fit on the spare holder if properly shimmed out...however, he said that the weight of it would destroy the tail gate within 6 mos. Any truth to that?
They may be thinking about the TJs which couldn't hold much weight on the tailgate. People have reported putting a 35 on the JK tailgate without problems to this point.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I agree the 12.5's will be fine...

you can use your old sensors or get new ones from DTD...(They are a vendor here) you should get tires and wheels from him, he will match any price and customer service is second to none.
It doesn't look like DTD carries Mickey Thompsons or Helo wheels. Can someone double check and make sure I didn't miss somehting? I don't suppose they'll special order?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

I was told when I was ordering my Jeep if I was going to get larger tires to stay away from the 3.73. Talk to Absolute Offroad.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the 3.73s already so I can't really stay away from them. I'll beef them up when I have the dough.

For now I need a clear answer on the tailgate....don't want to mess it up, but would prefer not to spend $300 unnecessarily either.

Quick Reply: Plans for the JK