Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Planning on regearing? You may want to read

Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KMM
Do you guys like the 5.13? How is it on the highway? I commute about 80 miles a day and I'd say 60 mi is highway.
I've got a friend with an 08 auto with the 5.13's and 35's. He also drives 60-70 miles daily and he claims to get 19mpg. No issues on the highway and he's had km2's and mtrk's in the 35" size with those gears.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkfletch7
Thank you for your opinion but I disagree, it works very well in my opinion
It is not an opinion. It is fact; rooted in science and first person experience and not regurgitated interweb babbling.

There is a reason that the internet's overwhelming consensus is that regearing for a JK does NOT work as you provide for the real world. Following your method, 4.56 would suffice (rounding up) for me or anyone else with my setup. But it's not.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Quick question for you

Originally Posted by plac
they always show up. my favorite gears are 3.21's.. i've had all 3 JK sizes.
I noticed that you have 3.21 gears. I just bought my first JK and have 3.21. Have you ever towed anything? I am concerned that I will wreck my transmission (automatic) if I tow my utility trailer that weighs 980 lbs empty. With it loaded its gonna be around 1750-1900. Dealer says my Jeep is only rated at towing 1500. Thanks for you input.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CerOf
It is not an opinion. It is fact; rooted in science and first person experience and not regurgitated interweb babbling. There is a reason that the internet's overwhelming consensus is that regearing for a JK does NOT work as you provide for the real world. Following your method, 4.56 would suffice (rounding up) for me or anyone else with my setup. But it's not. Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
I am not trying to start an argument but 4.56 would not work using the formula if you believe the jk came under geared which it did. Since the 07-11 jks should have came with numerically higher than 4.10 gears it wouldn't work out to be 4.56 for your set up. I understand the science since I studied physics extensively in college. Also as I have stated I do agree that weight is a factor so using 4.56 as a starting gear it gets you well into a range where you would want to be while those who may have been happy with the way the jk performed with 4.10 gears stock gets them to a reasonable number as well. I also am not saying that the number you get is the end all be all for gearing for you. Each set up is different, if you go with a light setup then you would be ok if your set up is heavy then you would move up to the next gear. Next time though Ill keep myself.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mjscharlotte
I noticed that you have 3.21 gears. I just bought my first JK and have 3.21. Have you ever towed anything? I am concerned that I will wreck my transmission (automatic) if I tow my utility trailer that weighs 980 lbs empty. With it loaded its gonna be around 1750-1900. Dealer says my Jeep is only rated at towing 1500. Thanks for you input.
I do tow a utility trailer with my quad and a jet ski as well. Both I have no problems towing but I would definitely not recommend towing more than the jeep is rated for.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkfletch7
I am not trying to start an argument but 4.56 would not work using the formula if you believe the jk came under geared which it did. Since the 07-11 jks should have came with numerically higher than 4.10 gears it wouldn't work out to be 4.56 for your set up. I understand the science since I studied physics extensively in college. Also as I have stated I do agree that weight is a factor so using 4.56 as a starting gear it gets you well into a range where you would want to be while those who may have been happy with the way the jk performed with 4.10 gears stock gets them to a reasonable number as well. I also am not saying that the number you get is the end all be all for gearing for you. Each set up is different, if you go with a light setup then you would be ok if your set up is heavy then you would move up to the next gear. Next time though Ill keep myself.
Just because you studied extensively in college doesn't mean it translates into reality. Just because it mathematically is correct doesn't always take all variables into account. I think the OP would really appreciate real world experiences and opinions not ones based upon an educated guess.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Just because you studied extensively in college doesn't mean it translates into reality. Just because it mathematically is correct doesn't always take all variables into account. I think the OP would really appreciate real world experiences and opinions not ones based upon an educated guess.
I've experienced it in real life as well but you are all just hard headed and unpleasant to deal with so goodbye. Good luck to the OP
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never would of regeared with my sprintex sc.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hammerhead
I have to disagree. 4.88 with a manual are perfect.
? 4.10 looks like a happy medium for 34's

Chart told me that I could go either 4.88 for better on road/commuting and 5.13 was better for off road..,

I trusted the chart and 5.13 is perfect for me, it's great off-road and it's fine on the highway, just like the color bands on the chart shows...

But if I had any commute the 4.88 would almost certainly be better

Matthew
Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

One of my favorite Yogisms:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
- Yogi Berra

The gears are best for you are the ones you like the best. So far no one has developed a selection matrix that takes into account all parameters needed for that selection. Some parameters might be:

1.0 tire size (pick one)
1.1 stock to 33 tires
1.2 33 to 35 tires
1.3 35 to 37 tires
1.4 absurdly large tires

2.0 percent of off-road (total of 2 and 3 must equal 100%)
2.1 percent in mud
2.2 percent on rocks
2.3 percent in snow

3.0 percent on road (total of 2 and 3 must equal 100%)
3.1 percent over 60mph
3.2 percent under 45mph

4.0 driving style (sliding scale between)
4.1 heavy footed
4.2 light footed

5.0 performance expectations (sliding scale between)
5.1 rocket performance
5.2 high gas mileage

6.0 durability (sliding scale)
6.1 last forever
6.2 last through next outing

7.0 cost (sliding scale)
7.1 no cost
7.2 Unlimited funds

Feel free to add your own.

Quick Reply: Planning on regearing? You may want to read