Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Planning next big upgrade to do over the winter

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning next big upgrade to do over the winter

Ok I always said I'd never need more than 33's

Well I'm feeling the need to go larger and when I did the calculator chart thing going from 285's to 315's only netted me a 1.5" gain

Am I missing something?

It's making 37's look like the next logical upgrade path...

I know I'll need to replace the axles with some really good ones but what about other stuff, I have a 2012 2 door with a 3" lift and factory fenders...

I'm adding lockers and regearing whole I'm at it, thinking 4:56?

Am I going to have to change fenders?

Will the 3" lift be enough?

Anything I missed ? I know I'll never be able to reach the drive through ATM again!

Matthew
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

37" get 5.13's you will be much happier.

I'd look at the RK 3.5 X Factor Long Arm Stretch System
Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Metrics can be a bit fuzzy when you start comparing sizes. Standards are pretty straight-forward, with 33/35/37, but metrics are some conversion of sidewall height to tread width, so you can end with a fair difference in height between say a 315/70/xx and a 315/75/xx. (which you would think would be the same height...)

Anyway, if you are considering 37's, get 37's. If you aren't sure you want to go up to a 37, then get one that is known to be a bit shorter, putting you in the 35-36" actual height range. (but you can still claim that you have 37's... )

Going to flats wouldn't be a bad idea, but you might be able to just add some bumpstop and trim the pinch seams/rails/whatever else needs trimming. And having both upper and lower adj arms will let you move the axles forward/backward in the wheel wells if needed.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Planning next big upgrade to do over the winter