Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Planned mild mods to new Stock JK - 33" tires and 1.25" body lift.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Planned mild mods to new Stock JK - 33" tires and 1.25" body lift.

Hi. I just ordered my first new vehicle – a 2011 Wrangler Sport 6 speed with 3.73 gearing and the upgraded wheels and tires (255/75 R17). I'm pretty stoked about it!
There are two rigs that I've always wanted to own: a Toyota 4X4 truck and a Jeep Wrangler. I've had an 87' XtraCab Toyota for the last 15 years and have really enjoyed it. Now it's time for a Wrangler! I live in eastern Canada and the winters here can get pretty nasty. Where I work, the parking is scarce and after a storm, it can be days before a lot of the parking spots are cleared. Bring another storm into play and the times increase. With the Toyota, it usually wasn't a problem – park in the snow banks! I was forever straightening out my lower valence on the front due to snow, but aside from that . . no problems.

Just like everyone else on this forum, I don't want to own a JK called “The Jeep”. I want it to be set up to meet my needs and I want it to be “MY Jeep”!

I've been reading a lot on this and another couple of forums over the last few weeks while feverishly awaiting arrival of my “Blank Slate”. As you are the experts, I would like to ask you to read what I'm planning to do and see if my logic is sound. Sorry to be so long winded!

I have a Smittybilt SRC front bumper (with integrated skid plate) sitting in my living room awaiting the Sport. I also am getting an ORFab rear sheetmetal bumper on back order. Both were purchased from NSOR.com – great company. If I was ever going to be able to afford bumpers it had to be before I started making Jeep payments.

Because the bank owns the majority of my new ride, I won't be off-roading it any time soon and around here there isn't much rock – mostly mud which I don't enjoy anyway. The Sport will be my Daily Drive and I want to keep the center of gravity as low as I can. I don't want to do anything that will adversely affect the stock suspension but I do plan to put 33” GoodYear Wranger Silent Armors under it as soon as I can afford it (read that as “not tomorrow”).

What I'm planning to do is put a Rough Country 1.25” Body Lift on it along with Spidertrax 1.5” spacers for the wheels. The BL will give me a little more tire space and a little more height before I'll get the body hung up on snow. I think it's the best bang for my decidedly limited bucks and should make it look a little better to boot!

While most people have said that you don't need any lift to fit 33s under the JK, a few have stories of some rubbing. I figure that even with the 1.25” BL, the over 3” of added track width, due to the spacers and extra tire width, should actually get me a slightly lower center of gravity than what I started with. I'll still be running the stock suspension with no changes in suspension geometry, so the ride should be as good as stock. Later on if I decide to go to 35”s (not a consideration at this point), a set of flat fenders should garner me enough clearance. I realize that this is pretty tame stuff for most of you, but I'd value your opinions. Have I missed anything?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the forum. You said it well. With that body lift. Bump stops and flat flares 35s would be fine if you went that route sometime.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, jeep2007.
I'm glad to be here. Good to know that I'm on the right track!

Originally Posted by jeep2007
Welcome to the forum. You said it well. With that body lift. Bump stops and flat flares 35s would be fine if you went that route sometime.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can also go the route I went and get the Teraflex 2.5 budget boost and 1.5 Spidertrax spacers. Love the stance it gives my jeep even with the 32inch stock tires. I will be getting a more aggressive tire and think I'll stick with the 32's. Just a suggestion. I have to get a camera so I can start posting pics. I know, I know! I feel like I'm stuck in the dark ages. Cheers!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Logan1982,

I spent a lot of time thinking that that's the way I'd go, but I've decided to take as minimalistic (cheapest) a route as possible. This way I can do more sooner and my suspension warranty is still in place. I've been impressed with what I've seen of the Teraflex kits and that's what I would have gone with. Will you go with the shock extenders or full shocks? What kind of tire have you decided on?

If you have a laptop with a webcam, you could use that. I've seen video done with a MacBook and it turned out well enough to be used on a PodCast. Some astronomers who can't afford a good camera (can get really pricey) will take lots of pics with a webcam and then use a program to stack them to get a much higher quality image. On a computer, the image doesn't have to be very high quality to look good.

A Curious Guy

Originally Posted by Logan1982
You can also go the route I went and get the Teraflex 2.5 budget boost and 1.5 Spidertrax spacers. Love the stance it gives my jeep even with the 32inch stock tires. I will be getting a more aggressive tire and think I'll stick with the 32's. Just a suggestion. I have to get a camera so I can start posting pics. I know, I know! I feel like I'm stuck in the dark ages. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Planned mild mods to new Stock JK - 33" tires and 1.25" body lift.