Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pitman arm seal

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pitman arm seal

has anyone replaced a pitman arm seal on the steering box. mines going and the stealership wants 500 bones for the box. there must be a seal out there. any help would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

unfortuantely, the entire box needs to be replaced. more than likely, your sector shaft is slightly bent and or has spun splines as well anyway. i just replaced my 2nd box a week ago. it's not too hard to do yourself and it will save you a lot.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wayolife; Since you're on the second box; is the fix for this to add a hydraulic assist to the steering system?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by yelorubi-EVA
Wayolife; Since you're on the second box; is the fix for this to add a hydraulic assist to the steering system?
not necessarily. i trashed my first box after hitting a rock hard with my passenger side wheel. this spun the splines and bent the sector shaft. in that case, a sector shaft brace would have made all the difference. my last box, i was doing a lot of hard steering through sticky rock faces and it's possible that the effort caused the splines to spin and sector shaft bend there too. while a hydraulic assist would have helped me through the obstacles with ease, i don't know if it would have saved my steering box.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting.... I thought that the hyd assist would act as a "buffer damper" if you will. You stated that the first shaft spin was caused by the violent force of a rock hit. This makes sense; since the steering gear is trying to turn in one direction, effectively hydraulicly "locking" the shaft; and the force coming from the wheels though the steering linkage is in the opposite direction... shaft spins. Correct me if I'm wrong... Since the hyd assist is joined to the axle housing on one end, and the drag link on the other; wouldn't it effectively "lock" the steering linkage; and thereby not allow the forces of the wheels to transmit to the steering shaft?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by yelorubi-EVA
Interesting.... I thought that the hyd assist would act as a "buffer damper" if you will. You stated that the first shaft spin was caused by the violent force of a rock hit. This makes sense; since the steering gear is trying to turn in one direction, effectively hydraulicly "locking" the shaft; and the force coming from the wheels though the steering linkage is in the opposite direction... shaft spins. Correct me if I'm wrong... Since the hyd assist is joined to the axle housing on one end, and the drag link on the other; wouldn't it effectively "lock" the steering linkage; and thereby not allow the forces of the wheels to transmit to the steering shaft?
oh, i never said that it wouldn't help, i just didn't know for sure. for whatever it's worth, adding one is on my to do list.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my second. I had a box go as well too and that was just from street driving. Sector shaft was moving sideways as you rock the wheel. Is this just a crappy part from the factory?

Would moving to a hydraulic setup make sense on a stock rig so I don't have to keep going through boxes?

WOL do you plan to ever do a write up on steering box replacement?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I am on my second. I had a box go as well too and that was just from street driving. Sector shaft was moving sideways as you rock the wheel. Is this just a crappy part from the factory?

Would moving to a hydraulic setup make sense on a stock rig so I don't have to keep going through boxes?
i don't know. it's a lot of money and maybe one that isn't really necessary. i'm kind of wondering if a sector shaft brace like off road evolution make would be enough to do the job.

WOL do you plan to ever do a write up on steering box replacement?
yeah, i took lots of pics and will do a write-up. it's not too hard of a job if you have a second set of hands to help out.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOL,

But would a sector shaft brace even fit on a stock jeep?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
WOL,

But would a sector shaft brace even fit on a stock jeep?
hmmmm, maybe not

Quick Reply: pitman arm seal