Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pitman Arm or not

Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitman Arm or not

Hey Guys,

I installed a 3.5 inch RK lift kit and I'm trying to decide if I need a dropped pitman arm or not. I've heard conflicting info on this as well as a concern for increased stress on the sector shaft if you do add one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by battleshot
Hey Guys,

I installed a 3.5 inch RK lift kit and I'm trying to decide if I need a dropped pitman arm or not. I've heard conflicting info on this as well as a concern for increased stress on the sector shaft if you do add one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you install a drop pitman arm (I would urge you not to) you would also need a drop trackbar bracket.

My suggestion is to run a drag link flip kit
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you outline the advantages to this vs a dropped Pitman Arm?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. The dropped pitman arm will not make your trackbar paralell...hence your steering and handling will suck. ( speaking from personal experiance)

The drag link flip kit (EVO) will make your trackbar and drag link parallel, and handling is MUCH better. Also,it uses the factory pitman arm to reduce stress on the sector shaft. Steering gearboxes run around 800 bucks, and if you break It on the trail using a drop pitman arm there is not "trail fix" to get you even off the trail.

I have the EVO flip kit and it is awesome. One additional note. You may have seen various vendors selling sector shaft brace kits. Not only are they kinda pricey, but many require you to have a frame side trackbar drop bracket. As far as I know the kits requiring that bracket will not work with the drag link flip kit...as it would defeat the purpose of steering geometry that was gained with the kit...basically working against yourself...counter producive.

EVO please correct me if I am wrong about the sector shaft brace ( from some vendors requiring frame drop brackets)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Bump to the thread...I have the RC 3.5 Series II lift kit as well and it actually is quite nice for a beginners kit. But I am starting to upgrade and need some questions answered. The kit comes with a track bar drop bracket and pitman drop arm for the front. (Still have all factory parts) I bought adjustable LCAs front and rear and was wondering the best route for the other components. If I get an adjustable track bar, put the factory pitman arm back on and get the EVO drag link flip kit would that take care of some of the basics or would I need some more?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally I installed the RC 4" X-Series lift on my rig. With the dropped pitman arm the steering was awful even after adjusting the castor three times. I swapped out for a factory pitman arm and the Teraflex HD frame brace and draglink flip kit and it made every problem disappear. I haven't driven a jeep with the EVO kit, but based on other EVO gear I have picked up I have no doubt that is a top notch kit.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

AEV manufactures the geometry correction brackets and has a flip kit. The two of these kits will put your vehicle back to OE geometry. I have the Geometry brackets and love them. You also use your factory control arms and track bar. This means you bushing will last longer than any aftermarkets. I originally started with adjustable control lowers and also track bars and I am selling them. Let me know if you know anyone looking for them.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

So help me out here as I seem to be missing something....

Why run a draglink flip vs. just getting an adj track bar and running stock pitman? Looking at the kits the TB is a cheaper option and will get the same results plus align your axle better. No?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Yeah. The dropped pitman arm will not make your trackbar paralell...hence your steering and handling will suck. ( speaking from personal experiance)

The drag link flip kit (EVO) will make your trackbar and drag link parallel, and handling is MUCH better. Also,it uses the factory pitman arm to reduce stress on the sector shaft. Steering gearboxes run around 800 bucks, and if you break It on the trail using a drop pitman arm there is not "trail fix" to get you even off the trail.

I have the EVO flip kit and it is awesome. One additional note. You may have seen various vendors selling sector shaft brace kits. Not only are they kinda pricey, but many require you to have a frame side trackbar drop bracket. As far as I know the kits requiring that bracket will not work with the drag link flip kit...as it would defeat the purpose of steering geometry that was gained with the kit...basically working against yourself...counter producive.

EVO please correct me if I am wrong about the sector shaft brace ( from some vendors requiring frame drop brackets)
You are correct, thats why i suggest doing the flip kit and running the factory pitman arm

Quick Reply: Pitman Arm or not