Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pitman arm help

Old 04-29-2016 | 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default pitman arm help

Anyone have a picture of a pitman arm position when wheels are pointing straight forward, and the steering wheel is dead center? My 7 year old thought is was cool to jump in the driver's seat and pretend he was Off-Road with no steer resistance, while I was setting up my drag link flip.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Sent from my XT1254 using JK-Forum
Old 04-29-2016 | 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Assuming you didn't remove the pitman arm, just center the wheel by counting total turns from hard left to hard right and split it. If you did, there's a notch to only install it one way; same process.
Old 04-29-2016 | 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a pic of mine, excuse the mud. I went wheeling yesterday. Do not just crank the steering wheel around. The clock spring in the steering wheel can get damaged. The end of the arm is near the drivers side frame at center. I always use a racheting tie down to connect the steering wheel to the brake pedal to prevent movement anytime I disconnect the pitman arm or drag link.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3867052716.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	470.4 KB
ID:	645423  
Old 04-29-2016 | 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the picture.

Old 04-29-2016 | 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Counting the turns did not work because the wheel feels like it is not going to stop... Do you have a picture of the notch you're talking about

Old 04-29-2016 | 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-man
Counting the turns did not work because the wheel feels like it is not going to stop... Do you have a picture of the notch you're talking about Sent from my XT1254 using JK-Forum
the pitman arm can only go onto the gear one way. Look at the teeth. You will see the difference. In one spot the teeth on the inside of the arm will have a wider flat spot. That should match the corresponding location on the shaft.

You should be prepared for the high chance that an error will display on your dash. The clock spring is used as part of the system that controls your airbag.
Old 04-29-2016 | 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Ooooooo....gotcha...let me try that

Old 04-29-2016 | 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by G-man
Counting the turns did not work because the wheel feels like it is not going to stop... Do you have a picture of the notch you're talking about

Sent from my XT1254 using JK-hForum
Errr...yea, bad advice on my part. Brain fart, sorry. Then temporarily install your old drag link to position the pitman arm and that's your center.
Old 04-30-2016 | 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard

You should be prepared for the high chance that an error will display on your dash. The clock spring is used as part of the system that controls your airbag.
This. I hope your son didn't turn the wheel too many times. This happened to me when I swapped axles. My son did the same thing. When all back together the air bag light was on and I needed a new clock spring. $400 dollars later and it was good again. Expensive lesson to learn. Tie the steering wheel off when unhooking the pitman arm or draglink if there are kiddos around.
Old 04-30-2016 | 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Hey, on the brightside: at least you guys can get your sons interested in being in the garage! My 8 year old wants no part, too loud, etc.!

Quick Reply: pitman arm help