Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pintlers are a go - what size tire??

Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pintlers are a go - what size tire??

I've searched quite a bit and haven't found anything that concretely answers my question. Can anyone definitively tell me what size tires (.../.../...) to run on a set of AEV Pintlers? I've seen about a hundred suggestions. They are going on a stock '12 Sahara JKU. I'm looking for 33's with some width but without any rubbing. I'm open to removing the air dam if needed. I'm looking at Duratracs, KM2's or Trail Grapplers. No plans for a lift but maybe a leveling kit if needed. It's a DD with minor offroad use planned. Pics would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for help with the rookie question.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Height is easy to answer, go as big as you can afford to run. Sure you can do 33' on stock suspension and feel good about it, for a week or two.... Then you are going to start lusting after 35" or 37", sooner or later you will break down and buy a whole new set of tires.....

If you have NO plans to add a lift in the next year, i'd say go with 35's and some flat fenders. Bushwhackers at $600 for a full set is a good approach. Now you'll fill the wheel wells and be ready for a lift down the road.

Just remember, every dollar you spend is going to lead to 10 more dollars you'll need to spend....
Good luck, its always hard to make the best choice the first time around
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm planning to stick with 33's as anything higher would be tough for my girl to get into. Specifically, what dimensions should I be looking at for tires?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, if you wont be talked I to some ace rock sliders to give the gf a step up then go with 33x12.50
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you NWapache - Am I correct in assuming that that fitment won't rub even in reverse?? I'm still trying to convince her that bigger is better
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Not even close to rubbing....the only issue you would have is backspacing and the aev wheels take care of that issue.

Quick Reply: Pintlers are a go - what size tire??