Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pinion angle

Old 07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing is I installed RK control arms, so naturally those will make the ride a little rougher right?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so I adjusted the pinion. It was closer to 5 degrees off. Well now it's at about 2...I can't go any further because the swaybar links are hitting the bump stops. Also the lower bolt for the end link is starting to dig into the shock. It drives much better now. At about 65-70 I still get a "wurr" for about 2 seconds, then it's gone for a couple and continues this cycle. Any suggestions guys? Thanks again
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone got some suggestions?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

with 2.5 max RK lift with coast front and rear shaft, I was getting a "shimmy" around 25-40mph and another around highway speeds... I never figured out what caused the shimmy but after adding rear upper control arms, and getting another alignment, it went away. I say i never figured out what caused it because initially, i also had loose pinion issue about 100miles after installation of drive shafts which caused a lot of driving issues.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laughrun
Ok so I adjusted the pinion. It was closer to 5 degrees off. Well now it's at about 2...I can't go any further because the swaybar links are hitting the bump stops. Also the lower bolt for the end link is starting to dig into the shock. It drives much better now. At about 65-70 I still get a "wurr" for about 2 seconds, then it's gone for a couple and continues this cycle. Any suggestions guys? Thanks again
That "whirring" every few seconds is probably the resonance from the d/s and pinion being slightly off. Once the rear is straight, the issue becomes the front. Ideally the front should also be in-line with the front pinion, but that would mean having little or negative caster and horrible handling. So it will be a constant battle between pinion angle and driveability until you find an amount of caster that provides acceptable handling and minimal vibrations.

-Adam
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

So you will always have a slight bit of vibration right? Does the affect anything?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not necessarily. I had a little, but managed to get rid of it by being crazy meticulous and ensuring that all driveshaft ujoint bolts were tightened down the exact same emount and had the same amount of threads showing. It sounds nuts, but it finally got rid of my last bit of front vibration.

However, my caster/handling characteristics may not be acceptable for others, as I've owned a couple lifted jeeps and don't mind some wandering on the road.

A lot is trial and error. Pull the front driveshaft out, adjust the rear end until you get rid of the vibes, then work on the front. There have been some incidents where the transfer case has been destroyed from driving with vibrations (especially with 5.13 and higher gearing), so the less the better in the long run.

-Adam
Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info man. I will get on it once I'm not on the road so much.

Quick Reply: Pinion angle