Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pinion angle

Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to adjust it this Sunday. I will have put about 800 miles on it the way it is by then. Hope it doesn't mess anything up. It's not a bad vibration at all. I bet if someone else drove the jeep they wouldn't even notice.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

The shaft will still 'feel ' different than stock due to design, might wurrrr a bit ...might not.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GunDude
Yes, but seems like I read perfect is 1-2 degrees below. I would say put it inline and see how it feels from where you have it now either leave it or move it back.
1-2 degrees below straight on with the driveshaft is normally where we would set the pinion angle, at 4"-4.5" of lift have you checked your front driveshaft and pinion angle?

RK
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I have. I'll put a pic up of the front later. Is 1-2 degrees below straight better then straight? And I thought these shafts might vibrate a little more cause of design. Like for one their isn't that isolated thing on the yoke on the transfer case like stock.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also I think "a wurrr" describes the feeling. Starts after about 55mph. It's doesn't really get worse as you go faster then 55 though.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Driveshaft Angles

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
1-2 degrees below straight on with the driveshaft is normally where we would set the pinion angle, at 4"-4.5" of lift have you checked your front driveshaft and pinion angle?

RK
On my 09 JKU Rubicon, I have installed your RK Mid arm Flex 3.5" lift. My Woods driveshaft is a "little" below straight. I have no vibration yet. Where do I measure to get the amount of degrees it is off?? If I need to adjust a small amount (1-2 degrees) can I use the lower control arms? Thanks for your help..RockKrawler is a great lift.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigapplephx
On my 09 JKU Rubicon, I have installed your RK Mid arm Flex 3.5" lift. My Woods driveshaft is a "little" below straight. I have no vibration yet. Where do I measure to get the amount of degrees it is off?? If I need to adjust a small amount (1-2 degrees) can I use the lower control arms? Thanks for your help..RockKrawler is a great lift.
I believe you put an angle finder on the DS and note what angle it is at, then put the angle finder on the yoke and note the angle it is at. If both are same then DS and pinion are inline. Then put angle finder on yoke and you can adj. the lower control arms back to bring angle down. I believe this is how it is done but not positive! Still have to install mine, but hoping to hold out till I have new gears put in next summer!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a pic of the front. Looks good to me

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3739940326.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	337783
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell from that pic but it looks like negative caster. The front should be set to caster angle not pinion angle.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, it's not that bad. Just was a bad angle I took it at. I was mainly showing that because RK was asking cause of the vibration I was talking about.

Quick Reply: Pinion angle