Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pinch Seam Questions

Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used a grinder to cut mine. Took about 10 min total.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by boboborino
apparently it is not necessary to cut your pinch seem to fit 35's ...
Yeah, that's the mantra. And plenty of folks will tell you that they jacked up their rigs and there is no way that 35s will contact the pinch seam.

Well, I went ahead and trimmed mine off a little just to eliminate the square corner. When I was done, I touched it up with paint to give it a finished look. Thought I was just fine. Then went to Moab last week and had all kinds of rubbing from my right rear. This is what I found ...

Note that the sheetmetal that is inboard is bent down now from the tire rubbing against it. Fortunately, the contact was pretty mild and did not damage the tire. But, I plan to trim them a little more, and a little higher up.

I figure the problem with the way everyone is checking their clearance is that they don't take into account reduced tire pressures. When you are coming onto or off an object there may be additional forces on a tire that cause it to bulge out. This is exaggerated with low tire pressure.

Bottom line: As far as I'm concerned, contact between 35s and the pinch seam is a proven fact if you air down (15 PSI in my case).
Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Bottom line: As far as I'm concerned, contact between 35s and the pinch seam is a proven fact if you air down (15 PSI in my case).

Well that's what I thought, and now we have proof. I'm glad you did not F#&K up your tires. The argument back when I was researching this was about aired-down tires, so I did cut mine, just to be safe.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

When I first put on my 35s I jacked the other side up to the bump stop and convinced myself the tires would never make contact with the stock rock rail or the pinch seam. The first time wheeling on serious trails, the tire jammed against the rock rail and would have been into the pinch seam had the skid not been there.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Measure and bend:

User hammer to finish:

Paint:
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sawzall, then painted with bedliner paint.

Quick Reply: Pinch Seam Questions