Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

a pillar-mount grab handle?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a pillar-mount grab handle?

My previous truck had a grab handle built into each windscreen pillar - very useful for lifting yourself in and out of the truck. I noticed on my 2010 JK there are two screws near the top of the pillar. Has anyone found grab handles that bolt into this location?

I'll do some homebrew ones if not but I was hoping there was a bolt-on solution already.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the homebrew method. There is a company out of Canada but $75 a set is a bit much.

I had the conduit and tubing laying around. I probably have $6 invested in the bolt, spacer and pipe clamp. You can shake the whole Jeep by the handles. The wife loves em!!
1/2" conduit with 90deg bend.

Flattened ends, 8mm bolt, spacer and pipe clamp

Painted first - paint kept chiping

1" vinyl tubing from home depot. I have since inserted the end and the pipe clap on the roll bar thru the opening in the padding.

Last edited by YingYang; 04-19-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

YingYang - what a great solution! Thanks for providing all the details. I'm going this route.

I assume the mounting location on the piller is threaded for that size bolt already -- i.e. the trim isn't just secured there with sheet metal screws originally, right?

That's for the homebrew inspiration. Nice job.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mostlystock
YingYang - what a great solution! Thanks for providing all the details. I'm going this route.

I assume the mounting location on the piller is threaded for that size bolt already -- i.e. the trim isn't just secured there with sheet metal screws originally, right?

That's for the homebrew inspiration. Nice job.
Yep, I used a 1.5" 8mm bolt, removed original bolt and this one goes right in. The spacer could have been longer but I just used 4 small washers to lengthen it. The spacer was a 3/8" coupling for joining threaded rod together. I only use that to extend it pass the plastic so as not to crush it. You could use a piece of pipe.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

look good going to have to give it a try
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome...Great idea
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love JK Forum
Great Idea
I'm gonna give it a try
Old 01-14-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by YingYang
I went the homebrew method. There is a company out of Canada but $75 a set is a bit much.

I had the conduit and tubing laying around. I probably have $6 invested in the bolt, spacer and pipe clamp. You can shake the whole Jeep by the handles. The wife loves em!!
1/2" conduit with 90deg bend.

Flattened ends, 8mm bolt, spacer and pipe clamp

Painted first - paint kept chiping

1" vinyl tubing from home depot. I have since inserted the end and the pipe clap on the roll bar thru the opening in the padding.

Someone's a sparky (electrician), very nice job. I may go that route as well, I work for an electrical company, and can get everything for free.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try Chesapeake Light Craft. They make a factory/stock looking handle traditionally used for kayaks but they even mention this forum & the use if their handles in a JK. Reasonably priced, quick delivery & a great product. I installed to in my sound bar and after reading this thread will buy two more to mount to the A pillar.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Rugged Ridge also makes them. They use the same handle as the Chesapeake Light Craft, but they already have holes and grommets. The picture show them mounted on the back, but they can be mounted pillar as well.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?SI=a7...%a2%7e%2414.99

Quick Reply: a pillar-mount grab handle?