Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Piecing together a ProRock 44 Housing

Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine ready to go except the axle shafts came later from Northridge and they put on the track bar mount that has different locations to attach the track bar. It was nice because I could make sure the track bar and drag link run parallel. The welds all look factory perfect! I'd also agree and order it ready to go. The people at Northridge are a big help with what you nead and they prepaired my pr just the way I wanted it. I'm sure its still the only pr they have sent out with 3.73 gears in it

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011-b.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	382348Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012-b.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	382349

Last edited by dave7200; 10-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

David, you got alot fans here!

speaking of, do you have the ATX slabs in stock and if not how far out do you think till you get them in stock? Why dont you guys sell tires?!? You'll be hearing from me soon though.

What's the difference between the two PR44s? Is there also an extreme duty version or hybrid 44/60 that you guys sell?

So everyone is steering me into saving for a bit longer...may have to do dishes and clothes to let the wife appreciate the hard worked effort Im putting into this project.
On the other side, she really dont care if I spend $ 1K every month, but she'll freak out if I fork out $ 5K in one sitting...so it may be more forgiving for me to piece it together.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Name:	37 NITTO 1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	408950 Click image for larger version

Name:	37 NITTO 4.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	408951

Just an update, I finally have ATX Slabs and heavy Nitto 37s under the Jeep which gives me more leverage to get an upgraded axle under the Jeep.
I've got confirmation and it's a GOOOO! Now, the saving part is easy, its all about patience now as it it will take me about 5-6 months to save for the semi-completed axle. Thank you guys for all the input!

This is what I have in mind so far:

PR 44 unlimited package
Arb air locker
5.13 gears
Stock knuckles- (I can upgrade later or just save a little longer)
Synergy ball joints
stock OEM driveshaft yoke -(Ill be bolting it to a 1310 JE Reel)

Concerns I have at the moment:

Did not see the option to go Chromoly shafts over the RCV shafts in the Northridge website..may have to order separate.
I would also like to seal the axle, is this possible and which one will work with the chromoly shaft and housing?
Also, does the unlimited pckg come with a raised trackbar bracket? Im thinking if it dont Ill weld on a aftermarket bracket.
Also, I have a TF draglink flip kit, if I go REID knuckles will this still be compatible?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
Attachment 408950 Attachment 408951

Just an update, I finally have ATX Slabs and heavy Nitto 37s under the Jeep which gives me more leverage to get an upgraded axle under the Jeep.
I've got confirmation and it's a GOOOO! Now, the saving part is easy, its all about patience now as it it will take me about 5-6 months to save for the semi-completed axle. Thank you guys for all the input!

This is what I have in mind so far:

PR 44 unlimited package
Arb air locker
5.13 gears
Stock knuckles- (I can upgrade later or just save a little longer)
Synergy ball joints
stock OEM driveshaft yoke -(Ill be bolting it to a 1310 JE Reel)

Concerns I have at the moment:

Did not see the option to go Chromoly shafts over the RCV shafts in the Northridge website..may have to order separate.
I would also like to seal the axle, is this possible and which one will work with the chromoly shaft and housing?
Also, does the unlimited pckg come with a raised trackbar bracket? Im thinking if it dont Ill weld on a aftermarket bracket.
Also, I have a TF draglink flip kit, if I go REID knuckles will this still be compatible?
I got the RCV shafts, Reid Knuckles, Dynatrac Ball Joints, ARB, and 4.56 gears in my PR44U. David @ Northridge4x4 had a raised trackbar bracket installed on it and everything assembled before it showed up at my house. I'm sure he could get chromo shafts instead of RCV's if that is what you wanted.

All I had to do was get it bolted under my JKU when it arrived. I already had a RK 3.5" Max Travel suspension, so my existing draglink flip and raised trackbar moved right over to the new Reid Knuckles and trackbar bracket on the PR44U with no issues.

Here is a pic of it when I had it in the shop for a wheel alignment after the axle was put under it.

Name:	PR44U.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	408973
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

That's a clean setup, how do those reid knuckles perform, any big differences over stock knuckles and did the stock break assembly just bolt onto the reid's, did they alter the axle width at all?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a clean setup, how do those reid knuckles perform, any big differences over stock knuckles and did the stock break assembly just bolt onto the reid's, did they alter the axle width at all?
I like the Reid Knuckles. They are stonger than the stock ones and are made for the draglink flip instead of drilling out the knuckle and inserting a sleeve like I had to do in the stock one. I also think they raise the tie rod up a little higher than the stock knuckles.

I didn't bolt up the stock brakes, but they will bolt right up. I installed the Teraflex Big Brake kit and large bore master cylinder when I put the axle on. If you look closely at the driver's side rotor in my pic, you will see the larger rotor sticking out past the dust shield slightly.

Since the PR44U uses the stock unit bearing, there is no change to the brakes or the wheels. Everything bolts back on as if it were the factory axle. The axle is also the stock width, so my JKU didn't get any wider.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Anybody recall which axle model here was compatible with an ARB locker?

JK44-1X3010-I
Axle Housing Kit, Front, Pro Rock 44, JK, Electric Locker, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 65.5" Width,
.5" HD Wall Tube

JK44-1X3010-J
Axle Housing Kit, Front, Pro Rock 44, JK, Conventional Locker, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 65.5"
Width, .5" HD Wall Tube

Is this correct? I had Dynatrac dealer state that I dont need the unlimited axle which gives the extra castor..he recommends that if you have 5"+ or more of lift.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody recall which axle model here was compatible with an ARB locker?

JK44-1X3010-I
Axle Housing Kit, Front, Pro Rock 44, JK, Electric Locker, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 65.5" Width,
.5" HD Wall Tube

JK44-1X3010-J
Axle Housing Kit, Front, Pro Rock 44, JK, Conventional Locker, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 65.5"
Width, .5" HD Wall Tube

Is this correct? I had Dynatrac dealer state that I dont need the unlimited axle which gives the extra castor..he recommends that if you have 5"+ or more of lift.
I think my PR44U is the conventional one and it has an ARB in it. I think the e-locker version is only compatible with the Rubicon e-locker. Call Scott at Dynatrac (425) 917-2361. He is the vendor rep for this forum and knows his stuff.

If you are spending the money on a PR44, get the Unlimited with the .5" axle tubes. Not only will you be able to use Mopar axle seals because they will fit with the thicker tube wall, the extra caster is a bonus. I'm running a 3.5" lift with 6 degrees of caster and an aftermarket drive shaft. I can let go of the steering wheel and it tracks straight and the steering is not flighty. Don't let the guy talk you out of the Unlimited axle with the 10 degree of caster built into it. That extra caster makes the axle an even better buy.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bo9roadking
I think my PR44U is the conventional one and it has an ARB in it. I think the e-locker version is only compatible with the Rubicon e-locker. Call Scott at Dynatrac (425) 917-2361. He is the vendor rep for this forum and knows his stuff.

If you are spending the money on a PR44, get the Unlimited with the .5" axle tubes. Not only will you be able to use Mopar axle seals because they will fit with the thicker tube wall, the extra caster is a bonus. I'm running a 3.5" lift with 6 degrees of caster and an aftermarket drive shaft. I can let go of the steering wheel and it tracks straight and the steering is not flighty. Don't let the guy talk you out of the Unlimited axle with the 10 degree of caster built into it. That extra caster makes the axle an even better buy.
I couldn't agree more!
Scott is the rep and he's very helpful. Since I was already running chromoly shafts and my eLocker was working we went the oem housing axle but if I have an X or Sahara I'd do the following:
PR44 Unlimited
ARB locker
RCV axles
Reid Knuckles
Dynatrac Prosteer BJ
Superior Gears 5.13 min or 5.38
No need for sleeving or gussets.

Good luck with your build!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
So funny, I was literally just doing this myself like 2 hours ago...my conclusion was that it is ultimately cheaper to just save and buy a complete axle from dynatrac
Paying for tax/shipping/labor for gears/etc makes it more expensive than a complete axle.
FlameRed is correct. It's better to just get the whole enchilada from Dynatrac and drop it in. By the time you get all the components, get the gears put in along with the locker the labor is gonna cost you more in the long run.

Quick Reply: Piecing together a ProRock 44 Housing