Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pics/opinions about rear bumper/tire carriers.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dawn. I read some of your posts and the one you posted showing the bumper lights on in the parking lot sold me and my wife! My wife won't let me order the RR bumper now. She hates that the lod costs so much but said she thinks the fit and finish is better and likes the added cargo abilities of the lod. She checked out your profile and thought it was cool that there was a female on the board. I guess she thinks everyone on the board is a dude hehe. Anyways I book marked your wiring write up for future use. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Thanks Dawn. I read some of your posts and the one you posted showing the bumper lights on in the parking lot sold me and my wife! My wife won't let me order the RR bumper now. She hates that the lod costs so much but said she thinks the fit and finish is better and likes the added cargo abilities of the lod. She checked out your profile and thought it was cool that there was a female on the board. I guess she thinks everyone on the board is a dude hehe. Anyways I book marked your wiring write up for future use. Thanks.
HAHA there are a few of us on the forums. I *do* have quite a bit of help from my man though. As for the wiring write-up, we will email it to you when you're ready. The write-up on the forum is a bit messed up (issues with linking to images hosted elsewhere and also a five-photo limitation per post on JKF).

The jerry cans are definitely nice to have for the peace of mind. I don't have the cargo carrier ("trail rack"?) yet, but it looks to be useful. I took measurements of one today and the largest SQAURE object you can fit in there is 31" x 15" (e.g. a cooler). The actual inner dimensions are something like 32 x 16, but the corners are rounded so you can't use 100 percent of the inner dimensions unless you have something that fits perfectly. Of course, a dufflebag or whatever will conform to the space. Sorry if this last point is off-topic!

Congrats on your decision; you will be happy with it. My only issue so far has been some minor damage during shipping. In retrospect, it was not a big deal and I feel kinda bad for making a stink out of it last year haha.

As for the picture with the lights on, I think that must have been from a post a while back - kudos to you for finding that one!

A tip for the install of the bumper: get one of those carbon steel drill bits for drilling the frame. We actually dulled and broke 3-4 drill DeWalt "titanium" bits during the process. Perhaps some lubrication would have helped, but we didn't have any oil available at the time. The carbon steel bit went through the frame like a knife through butter. It was awesome. One more tip: you cannot replace/change the backup lights without removing the entire bumper. Make sure you're happy with whatever lights you put in there because you probably won't want to go through the hassle of replacing them unless necessary. LOD says it is "possible" to change the lights without taking off the bumper, but you'd have to have the hands of a six-year-old to do so.

Anyhow, congrats on your decision ... and congrats on coming to agreement with your wife.

-Dawn
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by runit3
I'm picking up my Benchmark rear elite w/tire carrier next Thursday. The little things offered as standard features: Hi-Lift mount, Gas can mount, CB post, fits a 40" tire, Rear winch mounting etc. all added up for me as a no brainer. Should be installed by Sat night. I'll post up a install write-up and opinions on it. From the looks of it I don't think I could've gotten a better bumper in the same price range ($1250).
I can't wait to read your write up. I'm saving for this bumper (and the front elite) and hope my tax return will put me into the ready to buy category.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the tips Dawn. I read your post about the drill bits. I've basically been searching out every thread to do with either bumper over the past couple days
I'll make sure to ask you for the wiring write up when the bumper arrives. Any idea what bulbs should be used in the bumper? I guess I'd like to go with a set that will last a LONG time if it's gonna be a pita to replace.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't go wrong with LOD.

Quick Reply: Pics/opinions about rear bumper/tire carriers.