Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pics/opinions about rear bumper/tire carriers.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am upgrading to 35s in the next couple of years. Anybody bought the beefier carrier for the gate? These look like a pain in the ass the get in and out of the gate. I understand you go bigger than 35s you need to get a swing out carrier.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

I went with the LOD and couldn't be more happy. Solid as a rock.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Ok. I see that the LOD has a built in hitch receiver but where does the trailer wiring plug mount? It looks like the rugged ridge bumper is molded up and over the stock trailer hitch receiver and the wiring connector just mounts in the stock location.

Oh and I read somewhere that the LOD weighs about 146lbs! Any input on this or the weight of the Rugged Ridge?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a Rock Hard

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/albu...chmentid=89788
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cat Dr.
Dito on the LOD. I have the genII with jeep can holders and rack. It's solid and great on those weekend outings. It went on without a problem and the tire carrier easily holds my 35's. I grease the pin after every run and after 2 years no problems. Still as tight as the day I installed it.
Would like to see some pics of your set up if you have some.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

I'm picking up my Benchmark rear elite w/tire carrier next Thursday. The little things offered as standard features: Hi-Lift mount, Gas can mount, CB post, fits a 40" tire, Rear winch mounting etc. all added up for me as a no brainer. Should be installed by Sat night. I'll post up a install write-up and opinions on it. From the looks of it I don't think I could've gotten a better bumper in the same price range ($1250).
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

See that's the crap thing about being North of the border. Limited access to all products offered unless you wanna pay out the @$$ for shipping and fees at the border.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Ok. I see that the LOD has a built in hitch receiver but where does the trailer wiring plug mount? It looks like the rugged ridge bumper is molded up and over the stock trailer hitch receiver and the wiring connector just mounts in the stock location.

Oh and I read somewhere that the LOD weighs about 146lbs! Any input on this or the weight of the Rugged Ridge?
The RR is formed around the stock hitch. One of the few I know of that do and you know its still rated to tow.

The rear weighs 75lbs and I believe the carrier weighs around 30 its what it felt like to me.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

That's what I thought a bumper/carrier should weigh. I wonder if the lod really weighs 146lbs?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LOD does have an integrated receiver, and LOD rates it to at least 3,500 pounds. This was a major factor in my decision-making. In addition to the rating, LOD will also offer a safety chain plate/mount! I wonder if Rugged Ridge offers such a thing? Doubtful.

As far as the wiring harness, there are no provisions for it. I bought the MOPAR wiring harness and ran it to a place just forward (as in an inch or so) of the rear bumper. I then removed all of the connectors and simply left the wiring in place. It would take all of 1 minute to attach the connectors to the wiring. I hope this helps.

As for the weight ... not sure, but it's heavy and my suspension needs leveling as a result. I am going to wait until I have the front bumper + winch before I do that, however. But between the bumper, tire carrier, spare tire, gerry can mounts, gerry cans, etc., I would not be surprised if I added 300 pounds to the rear of the Jeep. I don't care though - never been happier. I love my set up.

Good luck with your decisions!

-Dawn

Quick Reply: Pics/opinions about rear bumper/tire carriers.