Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pics of 20"x9" vs 20"x10" with 35's

Old 02-08-2016, 01:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by hotprowl
... I guess it comes down to the look...
Well, yes and no. Yes, if that's the look you want, go for it. It's your Jeep. Just be aware that large rims on Jeeps are not particularly popular. Doesn't mean you can't find them--there will be a small minority on this forum who post up pictures of theirs.

But, a Jeep is an off-road vehicle. You need sidewall when you air down your tires, primarily to protect the Jeep rim from damage that might unseat the tire. Generally, you want the rim about half the size of the tire. You also need a narrower rim to help keep the bead seated, and to allow the bulge of the sidewall to protect the rim.

While I know there are folks who ignore that advice, most folks who are truly familiar with Jeeps chuckle behind their backs at their lack of knowledge, taste, and execution. Think of it this way: Would you put mud terrain tires on a Camaro Z28? Of course you wouldn't because it would look silly to anyone with any idea what that vehicle is built for. It's the same with oversized rims on off-road vehicles.

Again, it's your Jeep, do as you wish. Just wanted to ensure that you know.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
From the web. Didn't specify the size, but appears close to 20".

Attachment 636875

Not sure, but I think those might be 18's with stretched out tires...
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

I came across this one on craigslist and it's pretty similar to what I've been looking for. 20x10. I think I'm going to go with the 10", it gives it just that extra little bit of width.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00S0S_5qE7cwaslV8_600x450.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	636993

Name:	00A0A_lUwo7s02U3X_600x450.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	636994

Name:	00L0L_eeynCvIOgsJ_600x450.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	636995
Old 02-08-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking to get some new wheels and tires, and the question comes up, 20x9 or 20x10 for the wheels. I was looking at getting Fuel Maverick's with Nitro Trail Grappler 35x12.5's. They're going on a 2015 Altitude with 3.5" rough country lift. I know both will work, I guess it comes down to the look...
Both will look like shit.

Even your average soccer mom mall crawler likes to keep up the appearance that they could actually go off-roading at some point in the future.

20s on 35 look like you would be slinging dope downtown.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I came across this one on craigslist and it's pretty similar to what I've been looking for. 20x10. I think I'm going to go with the 10", it gives it just that extra little bit of width. <>
Don't be weak. Go full street.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1914378686.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	637003  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Roryslife
Both will look like shit. Even your average soccer mom mall crawler likes to keep up the appearance that they could actually go off-roading at some point in the future. 20s on 35 look like you would be slinging dope downtown.
Ouch!!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BRO DOZER in the HIZZZZZOUSE! DAYUM BOYE get the twenty fo's fo' sho!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Roryslife
Both will look like shit.

Even your average soccer mom mall crawler likes to keep up the appearance that they could actually go off-roading at some point in the future.

20s on 35 look like you would be slinging dope downtown.

I call that urban crawling. good way to get away from the police. over curbs and back alley ways!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, yes and no. Yes, if that's the look you want, go for it. It's your Jeep. Just be aware that large rims on Jeeps are not particularly popular. Doesn't mean you can't find them--there will be a small minority on this forum who post up pictures of theirs. But, a Jeep is an off-road vehicle. You need sidewall when you air down your tires, primarily to protect the Jeep rim from damage that might unseat the tire. Generally, you want the rim about half the size of the tire. You also need a narrower rim to help keep the bead seated, and to allow the bulge of the sidewall to protect the rim. While I know there are folks who ignore that advice, most folks who are truly familiar with Jeeps chuckle behind their backs at their lack of knowledge, taste, and execution. Think of it this way: Would you put mud terrain tires on a Camaro Z28? Of course you wouldn't because it would look silly to anyone with any idea what that vehicle is built for. It's the same with oversized rims on off-road vehicles. Again, it's your Jeep, do as you wish. Just wanted to ensure that you know.
I use to say the same thing, but I came to realize we off-roaders are the minority now a days. Jeeps have some what become a social icon.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsvictorious
Ouch!!
The truth hurts sometimes !!!!! I appreciate his honesty lol

Quick Reply: Pics of 20"x9" vs 20"x10" with 35's