Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pic request! What kind of roofracks or cargo carriers are yall using?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic request! What kind of roofracks or cargo carriers are yall using?

Am looking for a slim/low profile roofrack for my JKUS and wanted to see some of y'all's racks. I tote my kayak fairly often and a place to put wet clothes or my tent would be awesome as well. I have been taking my ram to carry the kayaks but would prefer all my gear on my jku.

Thanks, in advance!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

The AEV rack is pretty low profile.

Last edited by NiteFighter; 07-20-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/je5uguny.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends whether you want to run a cage on there, as well. With a kayak probably not, in which case you've loads to choose from. Then you need to decide if you want to run a rack with the hard-top off or only when the hard-top is on. Racks like the MBRP that I run utilise the hard-top so when the top is off so is your rack. Then you need to think if you're going to run a snorkel now or in the future. Most racks work with a snorkel but you'll need to install the rack before the snorkel, otherwise your choice will be down to just 1 or 2 including the MBRP.

Loads of pics of my MBRP HERE.

If you're going to run a cage as well then the lost profile rack is probably the Gobi rack.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1061388376.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	566502

My Gobi Rack on a 2 door. Love it!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
Am looking for a slim/low profile roofrack for my JKUS and wanted to see some of y'all's racks. I tote my kayak fairly often and a place to put wet clothes or my tent would be awesome as well. I have been taking my ram to carry the kayaks but would prefer all my gear on my jku. Thanks, in advance!
Gobi on my JKU. It's been great.

Name:	image-2335314551.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	566513

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteFighter
The AEV rack is pretty low profile.
It sure is. But the AEV requires a hardtop and mounts through the hardtop to the roll bar, making top removal more difficult. The aforementioned MBRP also mounts through the mandatory hardtop, but in such a manor it doesn't add more attaching hardware to the Jeep. But it takes 3-4 people or a winch to remove that heavier top. I really like the MBRP, but the AEV is also very well made and much lower profile.

My MBRP with optional front extension and basket ...

Name:	Arizona Explorations, May 14, 7_4346, Jeep and Totem Poles.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	566514

A friend's AEV ...

Name:	Colorado Campaign, Jul 13, 7_0032, Ray's Jeep on Hancock Pass.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	566515

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spent a couple of months reading roof rack threads here and at Expedition Portal, trying to decide which I wanted. Then in June the wife and I were attending the Jeep Expo in Ontario put on by 4Wheel Parts. There were reps there from various suppliers to 4WD and we spoke to the MRBP/Off Camber Fab rep at length about their roof rack. That conversation, combined with a really good "show price" had us placing an order right there on the spot. That was on a Saturday I honestly expected a 4-6 week wait, just like I had with some of the other large Jeep parts I've bought in the past year but on Monday, the local 4Wheel Parts store called and told me my rack was in. It doesn't get any better than that. I installed it the following Saturday, it couldn't have been any easier.

An issue that I need to correct, not the fault of the rack but due to my travel style is that I'll be installing a set of Old Man Emu 2.25" heavyweight rear coils (600lb). I carry 4 fuel/water cans, rear and upper cargo, and have an after market steel rear bumper and that is asking a lot of a set of Teraflex 2.5" lift springs.

My recommendation would be for the MRBP/OCF rack.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
... An issue that I need to correct, not the fault of the rack but due to my travel style is that I'll be installing a set of Old Man Emu 2.25" heavyweight rear coils (600lb). I carry 4 fuel/water cans, rear and upper cargo, and have an after market steel rear bumper and that is asking a lot of a set of Teraflex 2.5" lift springs...
Both Jeeps pictured above ***now*** have 2.5" TF coils with OME HD rear springs. Well, the one in the bottom pic now has them because I pointed out to my friend that he was riding around on his bumpstops during that trip. Since I rode with him as photog on that trip, I continued back to WA with him and we replaced his springs after that pic at Hanc@ck Pass was shot. He says it rides a lot better now, LOL. Of course, we both run very heavy with gear for expedition travel--much heavier than going kayaking for the day.

BTW--Bought my rack off Amazon and scored free shipping. They had in stock.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running a Gobi rack, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2887775308.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	566528  
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Not to hijack thread but interested in a rack for soft top 2door JK. I run with my top down most of the time with a spider shade. Looking for a rack to use to carry kayak's, but occasionally have to put top up when we get the unexpected down pours so want a rack that I can use that will allow me to put the top back up on a moments notice. Are there any racks out there that will work on 2dr soft top?

Quick Reply: Pic request! What kind of roofracks or cargo carriers are yall using?