Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Performance mods or re-gear??

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance mods or re-gear??

So I have to start making some decisions as to what my next steps are going to be. I had a 4000 dollar budget for my lift with wheels and tires included and I stayed pretty close to that, saving some cash by doing the install myself. I've got another 1500 that can either go into re-gearing now OR throwing an exhaust, CAI, performance tuner and some other misc. items. OR....new driveshafts...I don't know what I should do. Part of me wants to do the performance stuff because it will sound better and would look good with some off road lights plus I might be able to get back a little gas mileage and power. I know the re-gearing and shafts are necessary but how necessary?? As soon as it's ready I'll be wheeling a lot...nothing crazy though. Please give me all your thoughts and suggestions...this forum has made all my decisions so far so don't let me down....
Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regear. It will give you more felt power than any other mod. I had 35s on my 4.10s for a week... it was a slug. now I get to drive in the left hand lane. It helped my in town MPG too.If you have $1500 to spend I say regear, and get a front driveshaft. I have the teraflex " and 35s too. In the first 5 minutes of the first trail I hit after my lift I lost my front driveshaft boot. You will lose yours too.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 03-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Automatic and 35's definitely re-gear.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
regear. It will give you more felt power than any other mod. I had 35s on my 4.10s for a week... it was a slug. now I get to drive in the left hand lane. It helped my in town MPG too.If you have $1500 to spend I say regear, and get a front driveshaft. I have the teraflex " and 35s too. In the first 5 minutes of the first trail I hit after my lift I lost my front driveshaft boot. You will lose yours too.
x2!! I went over a year before regearing and complained the whole time!!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
regear. If you have $1500 to spend I say regear, and get a front driveshaft. I have the teraflex " and 35s too. In the first 5 minutes of the first trail I hit after my lift I lost my front driveshaft boot. You will lose yours too.
Honest question....do you think I can regear and buy a shaft for 1500? because form what I have researched, it runs 1500 to regear alone...and I thought you needed to replace the rear shafts immediately...did you replace the rear yet?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

If you have an automatic I would re-gear, 6 speed I would take care of the other stuff. There's a huge difference between a 4.46 first gear on the 6 speed and 2.84 on the auto. There is also a difference between a .84 sixth gear on a 6 speed and .69 on the auto (a 20% difference).

Also, if you do have an automatic you need to budget for at least a speedo re-calibrator as your PCM calculates shift points by three things, throttle position, mph and rpm. It's often the case where people think their Jeep is dogging out because of tires it's partially caused by the PCM not having a frame of reference to make the appropriate adjustments.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-gear, also if your stock drive shafts give you trouble, find someone local to build um ,alot cheaper than you can order them. If I were you I'd go with the TF 2.5 in coil, it'd give you 3in and you could run 35's. TF 3in gives most people 3.5 to 4in, that's where the 2drs start having more trouble with shafts.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

id Re-Gear, I started doing the peformance mods and some of that other stuff, but now trying to save for gears...should have been done with the tires size increase Before spending my money on other things.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

I hear the autos really need the regear. My 6 speed is just fine with the 35s. I was worried before I got it back but now its a non issue.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gasser
I hear the autos really need the regear. My 6 speed is just fine with the 35s. I was worried before I got it back but now its a non issue.

Jeff
Yep, the first question you need an answer for. Advice before that can often lead people down the wrong path.

Quick Reply: Performance mods or re-gear??