Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

performance cams

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance cams

i sent an email to crower asking about cams and they replyed they don't have have one but they can buy a new one, do the grinding mods and ship it.

they have several specs, and i was told that the mild cam does not require retuning but one with higher specs do require retuning.

and it costs 440$ without shipping.....so what do you think guys?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

I'm no expert but I don't think it's worth it. Our jeeps are not pre-runners and the little v6 is already stressed as it is, IMO the performance gained wouldn't be worth the time or money. Also coming from the tuner community( had a DC5 before the JK), anything to do with something like cams def requires tuning otherwise you won't see any gains to begin with...but like I said that was a I4, I'm not an expert on these engines.

Last edited by JK20A3; 01-19-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talk to someone local who works on muscle cars, they can give you a good run down of what a performance cam will do. It is basically a trade off, for anything you gain on the top end you will loose on the the low end. Not that great of a solution for an engine that needs it in both! For the cost and install I would say it is not worth it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

they just replied about the gains...20 to 25 hp to rear wheel

and i converted the price from $440 = AED 1500 that is way cheap for a cam

i think will go for it but only after i fix my differential, install gears and lift...lol

local dealers here sell in Dubai cams for AED 4000+ = $1,089.03....i know someone who sells them for AED 12000 = $3,266.98
Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Keep in mind, to pull or install the cam on our engine, you have to pull the whole thing out. Unless you can do it yourself, labor is going to be much higher then the cost of the cam.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also remember you may need new lifters, pushrods, valve springs and possibly rockers to make the cam work in sync. Plus a good tune will be needed. Don't let anyone fool you that a cam swap is like any other bolt on. ITs a major piece in how your engine works and will affect the performance. Ask then where the 25hp is at in the power band. I guarantee its in the 4500-6000 rpm range. No use for us. If they made that hp in the 1500-3000 rpm range then it benefits us. But all the parts to make a simple cam swap work would be costly.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Honestly man do what you feel is best, but Im telling you your going to need at very least a professional tune. For instance if i went to any mustang, civic, etc forum and starting asking about doing cams with nothing else they would prob laugh and ban me in a second. The JK isn't a car, it's not like your going to win any drag races with it even with 50+ hp. If I was you I'd save up for forced induction or a swap if power is that important.

Last edited by JK20A3; 01-25-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

i think I'm going to call them for more info

and crower is a reputable company

thanx for sharing
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

thanks guys for your advices, opinions and suggestions i'll keep everything you told me in mind...and i know that more research is needed, so untill i finish with the diff, lift and other samll things i'll keep researching and updating.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kabookie10
Also remember you may need new lifters, pushrods, valve springs and possibly rockers to make the cam work in sync. Plus a good tune will be needed. Don't let anyone fool you that a cam swap is like any other bolt on. ITs a major piece in how your engine works and will affect the performance. Ask then where the 25hp is at in the power band. I guarantee its in the 4500-6000 rpm range. No use for us. If they made that hp in the 1500-3000 rpm range then it benefits us. But all the parts to make a simple cam swap work would be costly.
That's what I was thinking. I design and manufacture lifters for many of the cam companies. Maybe tomorrow I can get in touch with my cam guys and see what they have to say about this engine. I haven't played around with one internally or know the specs to add any solid input. I doubt you would need lifters, pushrods, or rockers but probably valve springs. That is depending on the new gross lift and the spring rate of the OEM springs. They are easy to come by, and in my experience, I would recommend upgrading springs/retainers with a cam if OEM isn't up to par for the added stress. There are many variables, but I'm sure a custom grind could be worked out for lower rpm performance gains. Horsepower gain per dollar becomes the real question, as well as are you doing the job yourself (is it worth it).

ETA: Also I'll follow the others advice saying your going to need some tuning for optimal performance, unless the cam is real mild.

Last edited by rubiman09; 01-30-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: performance cams