Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Perfect Rear 44???

Old 12-06-2015, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect Rear 44???

I have been looking around and found many ways in which guys have upgraded their rear D44.

Some like to keep the rear open with stock shafts and just replace them as they go, some like open with upgraded 30spline shafts, some like locker with stock shafts, others like locker and upgraded shafts....some have thrown on a truss for good measure.....

With all that said, what would you guys do with a stock sport rear D44 in order to make is a good as possible with the best functionality.

Reason I ask, I have decided t forgo my rear coil overs and address my rear D44. If that means that u should just buy some additional rear shafts to take with neon the trail, kinda wanna know what yall think.

We have some loose dirt here in my portion of Texas and so nice rocky areas too. Not much in the mud.

Thanks door y'all's help!!!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:50 AM
goo
JK Newbie

A 35 spline locker and 35 spline shafts will be a strong setup. But keep in mind that the mopar full float 60 sells for under $4k so don't get too crazy with the stock rear.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goo
A 35 spline locker and 35 spline shafts will be a strong setup. But keep in mind that the mopar full float 60 sells for under $4k so don't get too crazy with the stock rear.
$4k with all the guys? Does that come with the 5on5 bolt pattern?

I was anticipating these to have the same basic flanges as the stock d44 but with just a larger diameter hear setup?
Old 12-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

What sized tires are you going to run?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
What sized tires are you going to run?
Have decided to run only 37s. May step up the width to 13.5" but that will be the biggest we run.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I wouldn't put a bunch of money it personally. Chromoly shafts and maybe a truss. You might find a used Rubi rear 44, and wire up the locker, and do the above mods. Should hold up for 37's, at least for a while.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by devwil68
With all that said, what would you guys do with a stock sport rear D44 in order to make is a good as possible with the best functionality.
Making it as good as possible means dumping enough money into it that you should just be replacing...

Originally Posted by goo
But keep in mind that the mopar full float 60 sells for under $4k so don't get too crazy with the stock rear.
I regeared to 5.13 and left open, then to 5.38 and added air lockers. Then the rear flanges bent, so upgraded to alloy. Tubes spun a bit, so had them welded up. Wish that ultimate 60 had been out way back when...

Quick Reply: Perfect Rear 44???