Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PepBoys won't install my Wheels

Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PepBoys won't install my Wheels

I've got me a 2008 JK unlimited. I just got some Pro Comp series 7089 for it. Well I bring it to PepBoys to get the wheels installed & they called me up saying they couldn't put the wheels on because of the sensors and that the computer had to be flashed by the dealership?

What's the deal here? I kn ew about these sensors, but wasn't even thinking about them. Can't I buy aftermarket sensors? What are ya'll other guys doing?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dustin323; 11-20-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the ones from the stock wheels.
its just valve stems
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Can't they take the sensors out of your stock wheels/tires on put them on the new ones?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

So the valve stems are the sensors? So I guess I should call them up and ask them to do this? I kind of doubt they will though because they're saying the computer is going to need flashed by the dealership. I knew I should have just gone to the 4x4 speacilty shop here.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dustin323
So the valve stems are the sensors? So I guess I should call them up and ask them to do this? I kind of doubt they will though because they're saying the computer is going to need flashed by the dealership. I knew I should have just gone to the 4x4 speacilty shop here.
PEP BOYS sucks! If they were familiar with any of the newer vehicles they would know this. Probably a bunch of kids working there. They are telling you to have the dealer flash it, for what? The only flash would be to eliminate the TPMS and by law the dealer can't, or at least shouldn't do that. I would be surprised if any dealer would be willing to do that!

The tire pressure sensors that transmit to the vehicles computer are on the valve stems on the inside of the tires. You should be able to use them in your new wheels and tires.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

From what the service manager said is the computer has to go into learning mode before I have the new wheels put on and have them flash the computer. I didn't bother getting into detail with this because I knew he was wrong.
Here's another thing that was funny. He came to look at my wheels in the parking lot so he saw my vehicle then inside he said "That's an '06 Hummer"? Now I'm just ticked off because my Jeep has been up there since 11:30 and he just now calls me.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

He came to look at my wheels in the parking lot so he saw my vehicle then inside he said "That's an '06 Hummer"?
I wouldn't trust that moron with my Jeep, or any of my vehicles, and would definitely not believe what he says about the computer learning!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I wouldn't trust that moron with my Jeep, or any of my vehicles, and would definitely not believe what he says about the computer learning!!!

I hear you man. That is why I'm debating with myself over calling them up and even asking them to switch them over.

I just want my new wheels on.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

The wheels I got on mine were part of a package offered by the dealer as an upgrade for the stock steel wheels. I bought them as part of the whole deal (financed in), but I told the saleslady that I wanted them installed THAT day (sat.). They said fine, but then later as we were finishing up the signing of the paperwork they came back and said that they didn't have anymore in stock and would have to order a set. I said " well, why not just take the ones off of that Jeep right there, and put them on mine?" They said " that's an '07 model, yours has the TPMS and this one doesn't...we'll have to calibrate the TPMS to the new wheels and no one is here today to do that." So, I had to wait a few days to get em so they could "calibrate" the sensors in the new wheels while on the Jeep. I don't know if this is completely accurate, but maybe that's what they are talking about at PepBoys? Still though, I'd go somewhere else just because that jackass called your Jeep a Hummer.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

From what the service manager said is the computer has to go into learning mode before I have the new wheels put on and have them flash the computer. I didn't bother getting into detail with this because I knew he was wrong.
Here's another thing that was funny. He came to look at my wheels in the parking lot so he saw my vehicle then inside he said "That's an '06 Hummer"? Now I'm just ticked off because my Jeep has been up there since 11:30 and he just now calls me.
They are right to a degree. The sensors can be used in your new wheels, if they fit (in some wheels they will not because of rim clearance). After they do put the on the new wheels, you drive it to the dealer and he will flash it with the new size and pressure of the new tire/rim combo. Takes the all of about 10 minutes, they just plug it into the valve of each wheel.

The sensors are set to go off with a 25% loss of pressure, so if your new tires run at say 28-30 psi and your old ones where at 35,, the alarm would go of too soon on your new tires. If the pressure is the same you would not need the flash. Dealer did mine for $20 and he explained it to me when he did it.

Quick Reply: PepBoys won't install my Wheels