Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Penastar Engine Swap

Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade

I know the VVT is electronically controlled, however I can't prove the 5000mile rule. That is just what I've always heard here at the dealership. I have never seen it in writing. I can however prove that the computer is in limp mode until 300 miles. It is set like that to allow for proper break in time of other powertrain components. Ripp dynoed their Jeep the moment they got it, and I doubt it even had 100 miles on it. Like I said, I just want to see some dyno charts after the motor has had time to get settled. 5000 miles sounds like a really nice number(VVT or not).
Ok, I thought maybe you had some inside info. Mine just turn over 5K a few minutes ago and I'm still alive. Honestly, I can't tell a difference.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ranjr
Ok, I thought maybe you had some inside info. Mine just turn over 5K a few minutes ago and I'm still alive. Honestly, I can't tell a difference.
Alot of what I have picked up has come from the Challenger guys, as they are more interested in the computers and performance numbers of their cars. They have been saying that it kicks in at 5k but that seems kinda pointless to me. The VVT is designed to highlight your driving habits. If you gun it everywhere it will give you that little extra bump, if you granny it everywhere your gas mileage will get a little better, but if you drive it normally you probably won't see much of an improvement. This kinda makes no sense to me as the PCM is learning your driving habits for the first 100 starts and act accordingly from there, so why would the VVT kick in to make adjustments after you have already got the computer used to your driving habbits without the VVT.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirDWN
See. This is why I didn't pour thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars into modifications on my 07' JK. The time and money people wasted trying to make their JK's more enjoyable they could have saved and put towards a 12' JK. It's not like news of a Pentastar upgrade wasn't already out there in the mainstream a couple years ago.

You swap out a 3.8L for anything and you're going to come out of pocket pretty heavily. And your JK is going to spend more time in the garage than on the trail.

It's a waste of time to consider swapping out a 3.8L with anything prior to 2007 (damn I6 lovers). A Hemi is not going to significantly outperform a Pentastar to the point where you'll be left in the dust holding your pride. Again, a waste of time and money unless you just have loads of cash to burn and want a Hemi just for the hell of it, which means you shouldn't be whinning about buying a 12' anyway.

To get the kind of reliable, consistent performance you'd get with a Pentastar you'd have to make significant upgrades to whatever engine set-up you decide to go with, which means you'll be wasting more money. All this nonsense about re-gearing and trying to find the biggest ass mud bog tires you can find is also a waste of time. You will also be sitting in your garage whinning about various parts you've broken and how to get the right set-up for gearing and tires.

If you really want affordable, beastly performance out of a Jeep, then buy yourself a CJ that's already been built right and use your JK for a daily driver. You'll come out cheaper if you're really that afraid to part ways with your old JK and that afraid to pony up and buy yourself a 12'.
Life is to fragile and fleeting to plan and worry too far ahead IMO. I have seen too many people be soooo serious and frugal and responsible, waiting and planning far ahead. Suffering what I call "analysis paralysis" day after day. Only to become crippled up or dead before they ever had much fun.

07 + "wasted" money on mods X 4 years of grins=Screw that waiting forever sh*t.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-13-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yankee
Life is to fragile and fleeting to plan and worry too far ahead IMO. I have seen too many people be soooo serious and frugal and responsible, waiting and planning far ahead. Suffering what I call "analysis paralysis" day after day. Only to become crippled up or dead before they ever had much fun.

07 + "wasted" money on mods X 4 years of grins=Screw that waiting forever sh*t.
I had fun with my 07' while I had it.

I feel a 12' has so much more potential for the long haul.

The Pentastar is an engine that gets the job done with no mods. That's one department I won't have to worry about.

I'm not an extremist when it comes to modifications. I buy what I need and that's about it.

As for the rest, I'll powder coat the wheels, put in an aftermarket sound system and some descent mud tires and I'm happy.

Last edited by AirDWN; 02-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirDWN
I had fun with my 07' while I had it.

I feel a 12' has so much more potential for the long haul.

The Pentastar is an engine that gets the job done with no mods. That's one department I won't have to worry about.

I'm not an extremist when it comes to modifications. I buy what I need and that's about it.

As for the rest, I'll powder coat the wheels, put in an aftermarket sound system and some descent mud tires and I'm happy.
If I still had the stock 3.8 I would be trading for a 12. Disliked the 3.8 motor the moment I test drove it. Loved almost everything else about the JK. And I never lifted or went bigger tires because, honestly, it would have been only for looks. Doubtful the D44's would have held up to my current motor then, I would need D60's. The list of mods would get real long.

I don't rock crawl, and the stock Rubi suspension and tires do fine on the muddy trails and sand/snow I run.

It's just that I have always had quick vehicles, so decided early (when I left the dealer lot, in fact) that one major mod I was going to have was a V-8. Socked away some money for a year instead of modding, by then AEV had their kit ironed out. Going on 2.5 years with no troubles. If stuff breaks now, I earned it.

The aftermarket support and freedom to mod the JK is 50% of the reason I bought it. Some do a little modding, some go all out. But if it brings them joy (without losing their home or family!) then I am just suggesting it is not money wasted.

However, on topic, I would still pick up a 12 before trying to swap a 3.6 in an 07-11 unless I could be without the Jeep for awhile trying to sort it out.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Penastar Engine Swap