Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Penastar Engine Swap

Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
Not cheap when you have about 20 000 invested into a rubicon only to buy another one and invest again doesnt make sense to me... Kind of attached to my jeep i dont think i could ever sell it.
I understand. Guess then I would just chip it and gear it (and maybe RIPP it) to get the most performance I could from the 3.8.....and enjoy it!

Last edited by Yankee; 02-10-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only i had $5k to drop on a Ripp.....
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
I stand corrected!!! Looks like chrysler is spreading lies!! Unreal... Far off what chrysler advertises
Chrysler isn't spreading lies, Ripp is using a 2012 Rubicon(4.10s) with the new automatic(Over 30% power loss) that isn't even broken in. You have to keep in mind that WHP and HP are two totally different things. HP is measured at the crank and with the penni it is rated at 290hp. WHP is measured at the wheel with the vehicle in the gear closest to a 1:1 ratio. The dyno also doesn't allow for the acceleration performance gain due to the addition of another forward gear and Ripp fails to mention the manual transmission only looses around 20%. If you look at the 3.8l performance charts from Ripp you will notice that it doesn't make anywhere near 205hp at the wheelsl. We will get a better idea of the pentastar's performance after Ripp hits that 5000 mile mark on the odometer when the VVT kicks in.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blade
We will get a better idea of the pentastar's performance after Ripp hits that 5000 mile mark on the odometer when the VVT kicks in.
Where did this idea that VVT becomes enabled at 5000 miles come from? I'm about 30 miles from 5K, will it suddenly become so uncontrollable to drive from the hit of the VVT?

Is the VVT even electronically controlled? Please show us where you got your info from.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See. This is why I didn't pour thousands (or even hundreds) of dollars into modifications on my 07' JK. The time and money people wasted trying to make their JK's more enjoyable they could have saved and put towards a 12' JK. It's not like news of a Pentastar upgrade wasn't already out there in the mainstream a couple years ago.

You swap out a 3.8L for anything and you're going to come out of pocket pretty heavily. And your JK is going to spend more time in the garage than on the trail.

It's a waste of time to consider swapping out a 3.8L with anything prior to 2007 (damn I6 lovers). A Hemi is not going to significantly outperform a Pentastar to the point where you'll be left in the dust holding your pride. Again, a waste of time and money unless you just have loads of cash to burn and want a Hemi just for the hell of it, which means you shouldn't be whinning about buying a 12' anyway.

To get the kind of reliable, consistent performance you'd get with a Pentastar you'd have to make significant upgrades to whatever engine set-up you decide to go with, which means you'll be wasting more money. All this nonsense about re-gearing and trying to find the biggest ass mud bog tires you can find is also a waste of time. You will also be sitting in your garage whinning about various parts you've broken and how to get the right set-up for gearing and tires.

If you really want affordable, beastly performance out of a Jeep, then buy yourself a CJ that's already been built right and use your JK for a daily driver. You'll come out cheaper if you're really that afraid to part ways with your old JK and that afraid to pony up and buy yourself a 12'.

Last edited by AirDWN; 02-10-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only dyno that really matters is the butt dyno.

If the 3.6 only puts down 180 at the wheels then the 3.8 put down 90. Butt dyno doesn't lie

chassis Dyno results are so bogus anyways, they are used for tuning.

One brand of dyno measured my bone stock mustang at 268 at the wheels, the other brand dyno said 240...no changes.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ranjr
Where did this idea that VVT becomes enabled at 5000 miles come from? I'm about 30 miles from 5K, will it suddenly become so uncontrollable to drive from the hit of the VVT?

Is the VVT even electronically controlled? Please show us where you got your info from.
I know the VVT is electronically controlled, however I can't prove the 5000mile rule. That is just what I've always heard here at the dealership. I have never seen it in writing. I can however prove that the computer is in limp mode until 300 miles. It is set like that to allow for proper break in time of other powertrain components. Ripp dynoed their Jeep the moment they got it, and I doubt it even had 100 miles on it. Like I said, I just want to see some dyno charts after the motor has had time to get settled. 5000 miles sounds like a really nice number(VVT or not).
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is also a secret supercharger installed under the intake manifold that turns on at 12343 miles and turns off at 13458 miles. Beware!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thedrod
There is also a secret supercharger installed under the intake manifold that turns on at 12343 miles and turns off at 13458 miles. Beware!
I just can't respond to this. I am dying
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
just curious if the 3.6 were to go and some one with a 3.6 were to just replace it with a new one , in thier 2012 ??? not insinuating that anyone will but has anyone checked the cost of the 3.6 ?
I just priced it out.
(no long block yet)

Short Block:$1335.00
Right Head:$397.00
Left Head:$470.00
Head Set:$61.60

Total:$2,263.60(not including brackets, accesories, intake, oilpan, harmonic balancer, belt, etc.

Quick Reply: Penastar Engine Swap