Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pcs hood louver

Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mOjO_JK
well that's why I did...I used self etching primer...followed the directions as labeled...it's covered...but besides the rust...shoudlnt be any problems if I don't herculiner it?
Well it may not matter to you but you'll see the color difference through the vents occasionally, that would bother me from the cab
Old 12-07-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Course the hurculiner may be a bit thick for the bottom, rattle can some black rustoeum on the underside
Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. Mine just arrived Friday.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
Course the hurculiner may be a bit thick for the bottom, rattle can some black rustoeum on the underside
so then what your saying is that it shouldn't matter the bottom..good point tho about seeing the primer and sounds like a good solution about just painting the under piece black...
Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkkrawler
So my amazing gf gave me my Xmas present early. A Poison Spyder hood louver. I plan on doing it myself and just asking if there are any tips on how to do it. Or anything I gotta watch out for.
I see that your from P.A. are you worried about rain,melting snow getting in to the engine area and making a mess. I was thinking of doing this mod and had done a lot of reading on it. Seems that a lot of people are saying that you get a lot of water on the motor.

thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Halfpint

I see that your from P.A. are you worried about rain,melting snow getting in to the engine area and making a mess. I was thinking of doing this mod and had done a lot of reading on it. Seems that a lot of people are saying that you get a lot of water on the motor.

thanks
Get plenty of snow here, 6" today, and it has rained plenty since I installed mine. I spray off the engine all the time so I don't see what snow and rain could hurt. I can tell you that my fan has kicked on a lot less than it did beforehand.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

I was already planning on taking my hood off and I was gonna use a pneumatic cutter to cut it. Thanks for all the advice. Alot of good tips.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Halfpint

thanks
Yea I always spray my motor so I don't see what some rain or melted snow could do that my hose doesn't.

Last edited by jkkrawler; 12-07-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its not as bad as you think and your butt hole stops puckering after you drill the first hole through your hood. Take the hood off its much easier and you can get above the hood when cutting. Do not over tighten the bolts as it will dimple the hood. Definitely paint all the bare metal including all the holes you drill for the screws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	515389
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All good tips here. Don't take any sort cuts. Be careful with the hardware, paint what you cut, and take the hood off. Be sure you don't cut the cross members under the hood. I used the hood bump stops to hold the pattern in place and used a sharpie to mark with. I also went ahead and drilled small holes through some parts of the cross member to get the bolts under the hood. Take your time, slow and steady, no reason to be in a hurry.

sent while the wife wasn't looking...

JDub
O\[][][][]/O

Quick Reply: pcs hood louver