Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pathetic 0-60 time...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinojeep
Why do we care about 0-60 times in jks?
Because, if we were honest, 99% of all miles driven by forum members are on road. Maybe, and I don't think so, the number is 95%. So...mundane things like keeping up with traffic are important.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado

Because, if we were honest, 99% of all miles driven by forum members are on road. Maybe, and I don't think so, the number is 95%. So...mundane things like keeping up with traffic are important.
They are all good points (responses througout thread) but I guess if you live in a mountainous area it's much more desired. I live in VA so it's mostly flat in my area, but I've been to and through PA twice in the past 60 days and wished I had 4.88's during certain stretches of road...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To each their own I guess. For me, I bought the Jeep to have fun off road so a supercharger would be the last thing on my list. A PR44 is much more preferred (for 5K) than a supercharger for me. Now, if I had thousands sitting in the bank and wanted to blow another 5K, I guess I would get a RIPP also. If I were not planning on any off road and wanted a quick street rig, then maybe a RIPP would have been my first choice. I can see some wanting this, but probably not 95% (or more) of people on this forum. But also, if that's what you want, go for it.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Numbers for the sake of numbers

Ok I am enjoying this thread and decided to add my 2 cents worth.

Current Specs on the Jeep website:
3.8 Ltr v6
202 HP
237 lb-ft Torque

Decided to see what the competition had and Figured Toyota was the best one to check out. I found some interesting numbers since the same motor is used in the Tacoma and the FJ, but notice the difference. And since we are talking about performance adders I included number with the TRD Super Charged Tacoma:

FJ Specs:
4.0 ltr v6 260 hp / 271 lb-ft Torque

Tacoma Specs:
4.0 ltr v6 236 hp / 266 lb-ft Torque

Tacoma w/ TRD SC
4.0 ltr v6 304 hp / 334 lb-ft Torque

So let's see what the future for the Wrangler may look like on the 2012 with the Pentastar numbers and I will use the Grand Cherokee numbers as those should be pretty close to what we will see.
3.6 ltr v6
290 hp / 260 lb-ft Torque

So the issue is 0-60 times and some people think it's a jeep how stupid to care since we take 2 hours to go 2 miles off road. Then the thought of, hey I drive this thing every day and want to be able to get on the freeway or pass with out issue. Or the guys that just want to go faster and just keep up with traffic going up hills, not to mention those of us that just like horse power and love the feeling of being pushed back in the seat and hearing the roar of the rushing air into the motor, what an awesome sound.

The cool thing is, it's a jeep and we Just Empty Every Pocket doing the mods we think are best for us. And everybody has a different priority, I know mine changed when I had my 01 Dodge Dakota Stolen out of my drive way last Dec. I now had a fat check in my hands from the insurance company, and now my JKU is my daily driver. I missed the the V8 in the truck and also need to make sure that my daily driver makes it home from the trail in one piece. So the PR 44 Unlimited is on order to fix the week D30 and I put in the RIPP which I love ever time I turn the Key.

No question my jeep did fine with out the RIPP and has gone and done everything I have asked it to. And yes I have 5:13's with the 35's and I did use the SuperChip programmer. Yes you need at least some type of programmer, they make a big difference and a must have when changing tires and gears. With the added HP with the RIPP I did notice a major improvement not only on the road but on the trail as well. The added HP and Torque made big difference on the trail that I really wasn't expecting but I am really enjoying. I can't wait to go back and hit some of the trails that I have done previously for a more direct comparison.

And best of all, I feel like a 16 year old kid again when I put foot on that skinny pedal the Jeep just goes. The kid inside roars just as loud as the motor.

Last edited by dasbus; 08-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Jeep.
The offroad utility of it.
The way it rides.
The way it looks.
The go-cart handling
The removable parts to make it an open air vehicle.

But anything over a 6 second 0-60 is just unaceptable to me, always has been.

Not that one goes around doing that very often (unless you like to buy tires and break stuff). But if a vehicle will do that, there is plenty of effortless power for any situation. Driving is never a chore.

So ya, I am nucking futs, flame on.

You know it is not my fault. It is a JEEP. So, I must Just Empty Every Pocket.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-12-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Your def not alone, we are just giving you a hard time, but in good fun. If your not willing or cannot afford the RIPP, I would highly suggest a re-gear and a superchips... I even noticed a difference with my custom snorkel/CAI....
Or the headers – everyone sleeps on those, but our long tubes and the free Diablo Tune we provide is killer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5cBPm3bNw
Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I stopped caring about 0-60 since my last WRX. That thing was FAST. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. But the real magic was the highway.
This is a 30-80 dash on a bad clutch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yscgoGL3R5w
EDIT: if you want to hear it, use good speakers and woofer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDoARLBR1cU Forward to 1:15sec its gets silly then

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
This we couldn't agree more with -

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 08-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dasbus

No question my jeep did fine with out the RIPP and has gone and done everything I have asked it to. And yes I have 5:13's with the 35's and I did use the SuperChip programmer. Yes you need at least some type of programmer, they make a big difference and a must have when changing tires and gears. With the added HP with the RIPP I did notice a major improvement not only on the road but on the trail as well. The added HP and Torque made big difference on the trail that I really wasn't expecting but I am really enjoying. I can't wait to go back and hit some of the trails that I have done previously for a more direct comparison.

And best of all, I feel like a 16 year old kid again when I put foot on that skinny pedal the Jeep just goes. The kid inside roars just as loud as the motor.
awesome - so cool we can be a part
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it's funny when people respond to threads like this by saying they did not buy a jeep to go fast. I feel that is stating the obvious for all of us. I just don't see why we should be content with such a dogshit engine. Because we love to offroad and really have no comparable options Chrysler took advantage....gave us an old outdated engine and an even older auto tranny. (that's why I went 6mt)
So, stop making "racing" assumptions and offer up some help.

I had 4" lift, bumper, winch, rock rails, etc... I've since gone back to stock but kept lift and tires....then added a Superchips.
It's drivable again. If I can survive one more year of low power without trading her in, I think I'll have to go Ripp.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted RIPP headers but man... those are pricey. I also have a superchips, so it wouldn't work anyways...
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bauker
... Either way, 13.3 0-60 is pretty slow.
Perhaps what you should measure is time to 13.1K feet. In that respect, the Jeep JK with the 3.8L van motor does quite well when compared to typical vehicles that might have great 0-60 MPH times ...

Quick Reply: Pathetic 0-60 time...