Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Patching a hard top?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching a hard top?

So I hit a tree and cracked my hard top. Seems to be mostly cosmetic. Black is broke off and some fiberglass is showing. Any suggestions on how to patch it. I live in an area that has harsh winters and I am affraid if the fibers get wet then freeze it will crack worse.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Field Repair

Can you post a picture of the damage? Auto body supply shops sell repair kits for damaged fiberglass/ plastic/ SMC materials. You might be able to "V" out the cracked area, and apply an epoxy adhesive for strength, and a filler for the cosmetic part..
Old 04-23-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marine putty, got mine at Lowe's hardware. Fixed a 5 inch gouge right up.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Low
... SMC materials ....
Just make certain that whatever repair is applied is compatible with SMC, not just regular fiberglas. Your top is SMC.

BTW: I bumped a tree while descending a steep hill at Disney, OK a few years ago. I've just started keeping my hardtop on longer, so have similar worries as you about a severe winter storm working the cracks open. I will probably just pay a pro to do the repair work.

The following users liked this post:
Anthony Fernandez (10-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use gflex 650 epoxy resin ! Works like a charm . Great for cracks and huge holes . I put my SUT top back together with stuff .... No fiberglass or cloth needed !
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Bondo for fiberglass to patch a couple holes in my hardtop. one was big enough i could stick 3 fingers in. It's been 3 years and it still looks good.

Quick Reply: Patching a hard top?