Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Parking brake cable routing with lift and shock question

Old 04-30-2016 | 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Parking brake cable routing with lift and shock question

I'm in the middle of installing a Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel kit on my JKU, and was wondering what others with this lift did for the parking brake cables. Rock Krawler says to undo the cable from the wire retainer for added slack, but to me this looks like it would make the cable sit on the fuel filler pipe which isn't preferable. I saw one thread somewhere about moving them below the crossmember but that is a lot lower. Do I even need to reroute them?

Also I have Bilstein 5100s that Northridge sent with the kit and they are the part number RK recommends. With the weight on the suspension in the rear they look to be compressed more than half, before I bolted them on I estimated they'd have maybe 5-6" of (basically that's how much I had to fight them upwards to get the bolt in) down travel. Does this sound right?

Lastly, I usually don't like shock boots. Since these are piston down should I reconsider that?
Old 04-30-2016 | 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

I'm not running shock boots, never have.
My opinion it shouldn't matter, they're not going to be on there ten years anyhow. Shocks only last a few years and that's it, unless you're dropping 500+ a corner.

The brake lines at ride height will rest on other things. If you don't plan to wheel at all they should be fine in the retaining bracket. I know I've seen others that pull some line back and then secure the line in the clip with a little extra slack for when the back drops out.

Mine has been floating back there for about 8 years and no issues to speak of. Haven't ripped it off. . . Yet.
Old 04-30-2016 | 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

i took out the bracket and the lines did rest on the fuel filler tube so i took some radiator hose and split it down one side and slid it over the brake cables to make a guard for them so they wont rub.

Half compression sounds about right to me. still leaves room for up travel and room for downtravel

I do put boots on mine. i like the looks of the boots and i prefer not to knick up the shock shaft and cause it to wear out the seals early. They are cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Parking brake cable routing with lift and shock question